Beek question # 492..Do you fish all year?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by golfman65, Oct 6, 2009.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

There in there now..but the crowds are pretty insane...I drove over the V. last Sat. heading out to the valley, at 730am the line went from the hwy bridge as far as you could see up...I've never seen it like that before that far down...Lot's of talk of the usual snagging, fights etc. Spent lots of time on that river but not lately...getting worse and the tweakers are busting in all over the river...

2. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

One last beek question if I may?

What are you using for a pattern for searuns now and till years end?

3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Small flies with movement and some bright orange work great right now for cutthroat. Conehead squid and small shock&awe will consistently produce too.

Just don't hammer those cutthroat too hard in any one spot, we need them to spawn.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Fan of spiders and reverse spiders, other soft hackles...but you know I don't know squat.

5. TD

TD Active Member

Ferguson's Green and Silver, Reverse Spiders, and Light Colored Clousers have been most productive for me. However, I haven't tried much else either. I tie one of the 3 on and if it catches fish I stay with it. If it doesn't (and I see fish), then I switch to another. If I see fish I've been able to catch them on one of these three.

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

An under utilized but proven SRC catching pattern is the good old woolly bugger. Solid olive or white. Good for rezzie silvers as well.

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I have most of those patterns..the two that intrigue me are the reverse spider and the white woolly.

What colors do you use on the spiders? are these the kinney ones (reversed)? sizes? I've tied or tried to tie a couple, they don't turn out all that great but then how would you know..I showed it to a bud up north who's my resident expert and has fished the salt hard for over 20 years and he just kind of shook his head at that one...

On the woolly bugger, I've often thought about white flies but don't tie um much if at all...I've tied up everyone's secret fly..the cop car...and had limited success with it on rivers, not enough to believe the hype though...Gonna have to try that one and green for sure..

Thanks...

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Orange or yellow reverse spiders will work great. Actually, once you find the cutthroat just about any fly will work really well. They are not picky this time of year and are easy to find.

Good Luck!

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Man, if you did not have such a HOT fighting butt avatar you'd get a "use the search function beek" response.

Point your arrow here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=18483

I tied some, not the greatest, but they work. Tie some more! They are easy once you get the hang of it.

10. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

iagree sheeeitt...didn't think of that...

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I'm a one trick pony. I have one go-to fly and it floats.

Leland.

12. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

haha

13. TD

TD Active Member

I believe the key to the reverse spider is the undulating action that the hackle makes as it is retrieved. Woolly patterns have similar action when retrieved so I'm surprised that folks have success with them.

For the spiders typical colors for cutthroat work well. As does black. I like Mallard or Teal for the hackle. I find if I tie the hackle about a 1/3 or more back from the eye and then tie the body material forward over the hackle and then back to finish at the tail the hackle tends to flair out nicely. That is just my way, I'm sure others have fine tuned this fly much better than I.

I really like that Green and Silver pattern though. As an added bonus the Coho really like it too. I've had mornings where I've brought to hand a few SRC as well as a few Coho with this fly. It is super easy to tie and very durable as well.

My 2 cents.

14. sox

sox New Member

most fun you can have on a beach and still have your clothes on.

15. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

:thumb: gotta love Leland's popper!