Beginer Fly Tying

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Skyler Evans, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

I Live on Fort Lewis but i was hoping that an expert fly tying guru could come up with a fly tying class for us beginers. Sometime in the next few months. If i had someone valunteer as an instructor i could put together a venue. The main focus would be trout flies for rivers and if ther is a good turn out possibly another session for lakes. Thanks.

2. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I may have a lead for you... I just sent you a PM.

3. Big E

Big E Active Member

I'm no guru but may be interested.

4. Skyler Evans

anything would help i know there are people willing to help and a lot of us that are willing to learn

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Both James and Big E are the perfect start. E's a pro and James will lead you to the promise land on post. Take the help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

6. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Active Member

Maple Valley, WA aka county seat of Cedar County
    This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to come on down to attend something like this as I just got started.

7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

James is reputed to be a new tyer but his tying level matches mine at the 40 year mark. He does nice looking flies.

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Skyler, shoot me a PM with some details. I'm primarily a river fisherman, but I'd be happy to help out. I'm also going to be leaving the area May 12th. If your going to be at the Ellensburg show, look me up, I'm tying there both days.

9. james.jimenez

If you have some time this weekend for some fishing hit me up. I sent my number in a PM

10. Skyler Evans

Ron i will be there on Sat so i will find you when im checking everything out. James i will be fishing at mineral lake this weekend for the tournament (gear & fly) i wont have a weekend free again till the 3rd weekend in may. Ill hit you up on your number so that we could get together.

11. james.jimenez

I will be tying flies at the Project Healing Waters table. If the get the chance swing by.

12. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Active Member

Maple Valley, WA aka county seat of Cedar County
    I'm probably gonna be at the show on Friday checking things out, hopefully get to meet some of you.

13. james.jimenez

Please post a report. I have never been to that lake before.

14. Skyler Evans

I just got back from Mineral Lake today. They just stalked the lake with a pretty good number of triploids (i caught quite a few) and some 10 inchers (caught alot). I trolled the lake and caught quite a few the largest being a rainbow at 2.5lbs. The winning rainbow of the tournament was 9lbs! It looked like a salmon. There was also a 8.5lb german brown trout that was caught. This is a good lake to go to if you want to spend a weekend catching monsters. Not many people fly fish so when i was trolling i threw out a green bugger that just kept getting destroyed. by the end of the first day it was torn up and i forgot my travel trying kit so i was at a loss on that one. I caught a decent brown on a black bugger. You want to hit the lake early in the morning with dry flies or with a wolly bugger that is about 1-3 feet below the surface. During the day it would be best to crono or emerger fish along the banks. Along the east side of the lake there are tons of logs and cut banks that usually get fished with worms and bobbers. The south side of the lake is where all of the driftwood ends up but there is a really good fishing here with the roks turning to seaweed. The west side of the lake is petty good fishing in the evenings and the north side of the lake is over fished. Thats where everyone shore fishes. Later on during the season when people get tired of eating fish you will only see about 10 boats on this lake. Later on in the year i will be up there again fly only to get into some fish. Right before i went fishing at mineral i went out on american to try some of my wolly bugger inventions to see how they worked. I got out on the water and about 5 min later i had a fish hit and breat the tip off of my rod. Its in repair now lol.) hope this helps james.