Beginner ties for SRC in the salt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Gary Knowels, Dec 10, 2012.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Don't overlook this Gary. Try it in pink or peach too!

Mark Mercer likes this.
  2. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

White woolly buggers.

3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Dehlia's Conehead Squid, it's great year round. Johnson's Beach Fly (white wing over orange body) great in the fall. Small Shock&Awes (chartreuse/orange/pink blend over white). Small epoxy sandlance 2.5" length is deadly year round. Tie on narrow gauge smaller hooks to minimize fish damage.

4. rotato

rotato Active Member

It is nice to have a small 1 inch clouser in olive over white
    But it's tough to beat an olive bugger

I might be wrong but I tie my bead chain to the other side of the hook
    Good luck out there

5. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    I don't mean to hijack the thread Gary but I felt the questions were along the same lines and may have pertinent value :)

I am getting the feeling I was making my poppers/clousers/streamers too big, so sensing I was doing a noob error of too much material I am training myself to get sparser. So I am decreasing the materials as well as looking at my hooks.
    As a newcomer I have noticed the term "size" is highly variable, between manufacturers and obviously hook style. ( I have searched and read many old threads pertaining to this so I have done some homework regarding small hooks and how they lessen the risk of a foul hit damage to the fish)
    So... I have become sparse and small.
    I was using Gamakatsu SL11-3h in a 6 and 8 for SRC but now I have shifted to SS-15 in 6 and 8 (which are markedly smaller) as well as the black SL45 in 6 (I was looking for a small and burly hook)

I am pretty pleased with the downsizing but still wonder...are SRC shy of larger patterns or is it just me overthinking the whole thing.

Thanks for putting up with a SRC/tying noob :)

Anyhow, thanks for all the great and wise info, yall rock in my book!
    Dave

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Gary,
    You will find some patterns in books by Les Johnson, Doug Rose, Chester Allen, and Richard Stoll. Good places to start.
    Jack

7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I think smaller will definitely catch more fish, but I dont think it matters too much, I've had cutts take four inch long flatwings, but missed a lot of hook sets. The smaller pattern puts the fishes mouth closer to the hook point.
    And good choice of hooks with the ss15's, also try the sc15's if you haven't already. The finer wire, tin coated hooks are the least you could do for the cutty's and I've yet to have one bend or break while fighting searuns. For salmon I would use the beefier variety.

On a side note I've noticed I have problems trying to mash the barbs, I end up breaking the barb and leaving a ridge. to counter act this I've added a miniscule amount of super glue under the barb so that when I pinch it the little shard of metal stays in the gap

8. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Nice tip thanks! I have noticed that too and have just been gently filing the bump to decrease its edges.
    Appreciate the reply!

Dave