Beginning Rod Building

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Benjamin, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and was lookng for some advice. I have been fly fishing for about 20 years now. I tie my own flies and now I want to build my own rod. I want to build one, but I would only have the instructions and a book on building. Would I have enough information to do a quality job and enjoy myself without the help of a class etc? Thanks for your help.
    Ben

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Welcome aboard

Ben, Depends on where you live...

Greg's Custom Rods (Lake Stevens) and All About the Fly (Monroe) both give rodbuilding classes...

3. reelin-n-dealin

reelin-n-dealin New Member

Ben, if you live in the Seattle area we have an excellent selection of rod building supplies and I will be more than happy to let you work on the rod at the shop during the weekends. I have taught rod building classes for a dozen years, but prefer to just teach privately for free at Patrick's Fly Shop.

Jimmy

4. reelin-n-dealin

reelin-n-dealin New Member

Ben, if you live in the Seattle area we have an excellent selection of rod building supplies and I will be more than happy to let you work on the rod at the shop during the weekends. I have taught rod building classes for a dozen years, but prefer to just teach privately for free at Patrick's Fly Shop.

Jimmy

5. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Thank you for your help. I actually live in Provo UT. I rReally appreciate your willingness to help me. I like this site because I spent my summers growing up fishing with my grandfather in Ellensburg. Thanks again for your willingness to help.
    Ben

6. lcconrad

lcconrad New Member

Contact a local fly shop and ask them about rod building classes and groups. I have found that the people who work at fly shops are geat information souces, they should know someone who builds rods that frequents their shop and are pretty good about passing on information.

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

too much advice...

Sometimes we forget to answer the question. Yes, you can build a quality rod with just a book. That's how my rods have been built and I'm still fishing them and enjoying them. A good resource is Rodbuilding.org...check it out!

8. riverdog

riverdog Member

I second Roper's suggestion that you check out Rodbuilders.ord. Virtually any question you may have will be answered on that site. Some of the very best rod builders frequent the forum, and the sponsors are extremely ready and willing to set you up with what you need.

One caveat: Like fly fishing and tying, rod building is addictive. Once you start, there's a good chance you'll be hooked. My advice: build your first rod for your spouse/child/significant other, and you'll bank some goodwill to cash in when you disappear for a few hours to "roll your own."

Andrew

9. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    Personally i didn't need to live in seattle to build a rod, i just bought a video and followed that. seriously though, like i said i bought a video on rod building and had no problems with my first.