Being a crappy caster has its drawbacks

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tracy Lauricella, Jan 11, 2013.

1. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Exact reason I gave up on said cast a lot of seasons gone by. Easy conversion to a circle c, which is better for lifting sunk junk anyway. Anyone that says it's "same cast" ..your wrong.

2. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

That's the reason I gave up on sunk junk and stayed with flies.

3. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Point [jab?] taken.. a defined range for "junk" would be interesting. In my case it was #6 BH bugger head first into exact area pictured by OP. Any Iron has capacity to inflict same. It's the cast / technique.. not the fly.

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

It seems to me, Tracy, that we met at The Day on the River a couple of years ago. Maybe you should plan on taking a few Saturdays, if you have the time and go back up and get some pointers from Aaron. He can probably straighten you out in short order.

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I'll PM you my address, I'll give your rod a good home. Please include the lines, as I have a collection that needs some help :)

Seriously though, your not alone. I have never managed to hit my rod with a fly but I have knocked my ass silly in the head (I kept touching my head waiting for the spray of blood, never came) and buried one in the inside of my upper thigh "3/0 in the crotch" (that was this season...). I am constantly tinkering with my casting stroke, because I get bored and I don't think ugly casts matter. Every day I start out on the river and look like I am completely clueless. Takes about an hour for my long casts to clean up. That's why I start fishing in the dark :D

I vote you find someone to help you out, as a self taught two-handed casted (what i do is probably not properly called spey casting), it may have saved me some time and suffering to find someone who could of said "What they hell was that? No, no, no..." I'm always seeing stuff by west side shops holding river side events and such to try gear and get tips. In that regard your quite fortunate to live on the West side of the state.

6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

The fish are moving 10' from shore anyway. That's why you hook them on the hang down :p

(I know long casts can be useful...I'm just joining in the "sass-fest"...no harm meant)

7. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Tracy I thought about that too, just like i've wondered would the cost of lessions offset the cost of having to replace a broken rod due to my poor casting skills?

8. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Been there. Done that. Sucks. Sorry.

9. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Those two handers are no joke; I opened my ear up in a class with nothing but a leader and little fluffy piece of yarn on it. If I'd had a fly on there, It would have been renamed the Mike Tyson special; cause it would have probably taken my ear completely off.