Ben Howard Pit Bull

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Smith, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

I too see the three dogs roaming that stretch quite often they never give me more than a second glance and maybe a bark. I see them quite often by elwell creek as I most often fish that stretch. Good to know although it wont stop me from fishing that stretch, but I will def. keep it in the back of my mind. To me a dog is not too big of a deal unless its Kujo im more worried about those big furry cats sitting in the bushes waiting to pounce. I have mixed emotions about pitts my dog was once attacked by one and I have had some close encounters with them. Im not here to point blame at the owner nor the dog but if I am attacked or really fear for my life, sorry its the dog over me any day, and yes I too love dogs and have had one since I was a kid but some dogs just were not born with a full deck weather it be a pitt or any breed.

2. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

You are kinda going in circles here, as you stated earlier that Pitts do have the tendency to hurt and attack someone....Unless their owners are very very responsible and do all those things you mention. By that alone, I would say it is in their breed to attack and hurt someone in certain situations.

The common sense I was referring to wasn't the same as people, more of an animal sense. IF a wild animal knows it's gonna lose and or die, it backs down and runs (unless defending youg etc), Pitts are not that smart, and do not back down even till death. Most of the time you have to pry their jaws open with a screwdriver even after they are dead (I've had personal experiece with this). How would you categorize a dog that does that? Not wild? Then what?

3. PT

PT Physhicist

The only good pit is a dead one. Period.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I could say the same about Scotch drinkers and I have been attacked by Scotch drinkers more than by pitbulls. Low holed by 'em also.

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Attack until death :rofl: :rofl: A pit bull or any dog for that matter will attack until you give it a swift wading boot to the nose promptly followed by grabbing the hind legs and tossing it half way across the river.

6. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Active Member

It may be the owners fault, but the owners rarely bite.

7. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

I said ability, you said tendency. The only tendency that I see i all the dogs that I have owned is the need to please there owner. If the owner encourages bad behaviors then they will act in that way to please there owner. There are a lot of animals including people that will fight til the threat is gone.

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

"Have internet, will argue.."

Paladin

9. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Jim

Sounds like our Pit which we also rescued when she was about 6 months old, starving in a garage, she is also a people dog, most dangerous thing about her is her constantly wagging tail and her nibbling on our ears while she is kissing us.

Here is a picture of her.

Personnally have had more trouble with Shepherds, dobermanns, and all those little dogs that have those defensive attitudes, never any problems while fishing, but jogging over the last 30 years there have been. Any aggresive lose dog is a problem which needs to be dealt with if necessary. I hope they like granola bars because thats all I ever have while fishing anyway,

:thumb:

[​IMG]

10. Jacob Mitchell

Jacob Mitchell New Member

Obviously you are someone that has not dealt with pits. I have had/bred a lot of different dogs and hands down pits are the best dog out there for all around purpose. THey are great companions, excellent security, and the most trustworthy dog I have ever dealt with. The only downside of a pit is that it loves its owner so much that it would do anything the owner wants. If the owner wants a nice protective family dog, that is what the dog will be, if the owner wants the dog to kill and fight, the dog will do it without hesitation. I have had numerous pits and currently have one now. I bring him fishing with my everywhere I go so if you see a guy fishing with a big white pit bull say hi....maybe you might even learn a thing or two about dogs.

11. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

If he's takin a nap in the couches, he probably OK.

12. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

I love pitbulls...

but you have to cook em' just right.

13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

the most ignorant replies ive seen... cant figure out why so many non owners of pits know so much about them. i love my american staff' (knuckles). some here have met him and they still have both legs and arms. he did hem up a poodle over the holidays, THAT WASNT ON A LEASH, guess who's owner came over to apologize and is now on a leash since then, THE FUCKIN POODLE!!!!!!!!!!!
    TFG - owners of aggresive dogs are responsible for aggresion, period, as are parents of children who kill, you gonna shoot kids cuz they are aggresive ....go fuck yourself, you douche bag.

14. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Are we done yet? I called animal control today and they "will look into it". So everyone be careful, catch lots and lots of fish, and Pit Bulls will just have to be a Love 'em or Hate 'em breed. Can we agree to that?

15. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Thanks for advertising your intelligence and your great grasp of the english vocabulary/Language...LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.