benelli super black eagle anyone?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Leroy Laviolet, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Are these as nice as they apear ?
    Anyone shooting one?
    what do you think of 3.5" shells compared to the old 3" mags?

2. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

If you're thinking about getting it JUST DO IT, a friend i go to school with has one and they're NICE and they shoot like a dream! the 3.5 inchers do amazing but the 3's will do the job. I made the mistake of being a cheapo and not buying one and got the nova instead ahaha

3. Cliff

Cliff Member

I have a friend who has one in a camo finish. When I first saw it I thought it was one of the most ungainly looking shotguns I've ever seen. But when I mounted it the gun felt perfect. It's a nice shooting gun. Since I hunt upland birds I really don't have a need for one, but if I was a duck hunter I'd probably buy one.

4. 8wtflyrod

8wtflyrod take me fishing

Nice guns, I shoot one. Easy to get the head up on. Don't have a need for 3.5" but it is the only auto Benelli that can be had for left handers (besides the M2).

It'll take a few rounds to loosen it up to reliably shoot trap loads though.

5. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I've hunted with and talked with many hunters using auto-loaders. If its a Benelli, they swear by it. If its a Beretta, they swear by it.

As for 3.5 vs 3 inch, I've shot both and have my opinion: if you're going to be shooting big geese at distance, 3.5 are fine. With the right choke, 3.5 will reach way out and kill, if that is your game. I don't like long distance shooting since it is likely to increase cripples. If you're shooting ducks or geese over decoys, I don't think they're necessary. Improve your skills in the off season by practicing on the skeet or sporting clays range. Then just shoot close birds, you'll be a better hunter.

Enjoy your SBE.

6. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Not a big long range shooter, so sounds like the 3.5 shells are no positive for me= If I get a new gun, the Benelli or the berreta are the only two I'll go with-
    I checked one out yesterday, and it does have a great feal to it-
    Iv'e shot an old school 870 so long, I'm not convinced an auto is ths ticket for me , but this one really feals good, we'll see...

7. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I got an SBE II a couple of years ago. Not a very pretty gun, but extremely functional and reliable, and you can adjust it to fit. I use it for everything, geese, ducks, uplands and trap.

This is the best thing I've done for myself in years. I don't use any of my others, now.

the difference between 3 1/2's and 3's are either weight of shot, or type of powder. Some 3 1/2's have more shot than their 3 inch equivalents, some don't. My experience: if you hit 'em, they'll drop. Frankly, right now, they're all expensive.

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

another reason for 3 1/2" shells is turkey hunting. The camo version of the SBE is a great turkey gun, especially with a shorter barrel and a specialized turkey extra-full choke. Personally, I have a Mossberg Pump that is a specialized turkey gun with a short barrel, ported with an aftermarket turkey choke in camo. With a sling, it is easy to carry and bombproof. I have a friend who hunts a SBE on upland game and is deadly with it. I use Beretta O/U's, but there are times I wish I had a third shot! Rick

9. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Leroy,
    I used o/u and sxs shotguns exclusively starting in 1967. I developed "tennis elbow" three years ago and shooting my o/u 12 ga with duck and goose loads was torture. I followed a friend's advice and got the Extrema II by Beretta for my water fowl hunting. I'm spoiled now, recoil is negligible. I was worried about the functioning of an auto-loader but haven't had a single problem yet. I clean it after every trip and recommend that to you, too. My friends who use the SBE report the same benefits from their guns and they, too, clean them after every use, though I've heard that it isn't necessary.

The 870 is an extremely reliable gun, used by millions of hunters. If you're thinking of switching to an auto, I don't think you'll regret it. You'll notice better followup with second and thirds shots due to reduced recoil.

Benelli has also come out with the Vinci (?) which has gotten some good reviews, too.

Karl

10. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Home Page:
    Great gun, buddy left his in botton of skiff last fall after duck hunting all day, it froze in the two inches of water at the bottom of the boat that night, chipped it out the next day, shot first time (chipped out and sat in truck with heat on for an hour) They will shoot about 10,000 rounds before you need to even think of replacing fire pins etc.
    :thumb::thumb::thumb: