Berkley cherrywood project

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Porter, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

I want to rewrap my very first fly rod I owned. It's a 1978 Berkley Cherrywood fiber glass 8'6" 8 weight or No. 8 as it was labeled. It's kinda cool with a plumish red down locking reel seat and a smallish 6" grip. The guides are wrapped in a plum color with silver highlights and twirls. The guides were placed on top of a silver mylar or something. It is a two piece and the stripping guide was ruined from a storage issue. i have a couple loose guides on the second piece so I thought I would just redo the whole rod. Is any one familiar with the silver mylar or ? that I'm talking about and where one could get some? I have been unable to locate any thing like this...it seems to be a wide strip of some type of tape but I want the correct item to use if possible. Thanks

2. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Never heard of it before. How about fly tying mylar tinsel? :hmmm:
    -Ethan

3. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

not much help from me, but that was one of my first rods also. resides in dad's basement 3000 miles away ever since 1980 or so. Nice rod for its class. I remember i made a mark on the butt for every fish over 20" and ran out of room. After i left for Alaska that didn't seem like much of a big deal though.

4. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Home Page:
    My guess is that the silver tape is a cost cutting measure in the factory. They lay down the silver base quickly and then can wrap the final color over that leaving a small trim band (sometimes they paint it on too instead of using a tape). Since you are wrapping them yourself you'd do the main color and then add the trim band after the main wrap is complete instead.

If you want to do a silver underwrap try silver Sulky Holoshimmer thread (available in fabric stores). It goes through a thread tensioner just fine. Personally I'd just add the trim bands and not worry about the underwrap.

(Sulky Holoshimmer also make nice thin ribbing on chironomid patterns too!)

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yes your right....there is no silver thread highlights. they wrapped on top of silver/chrome tape and did a little design. There are eight guides and 5 are decent so I was hoping to match them, but perhaps I need to remove and rewrap all. Maybe I should put some nicer guides and snakes on the rod. It sure is a flimsy wormy action rod. I would probably junk it if it were not for the sentimental value and the cool down red color locking reel seat.

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

you can go to a hardware store and buy some aluminum tape and that will do the trick. Those rods lined with the right line will come alive...

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Good thought. I was going to head up to Lake Stevens and see what Greg's has in stock, but I have not found the time yet. I have only casted a cheap WF eight weight and a Supreme 2 line on it. I was thinking of trying a DT 8 weight such as the 444 Peach or a Rio Gold. When I used this rod I had little knowledge about lines and tapers and pairing them with certain actions of rods. What would you recommend to try to make it come alive?....I know the trout in the Williamson River and Sprague River made it come alive on a couple trips long ago. :)

8. FT

FT Active Member

Since fiberglass rods of that time are much softer and slower than the graphite rods of today, I'd drop to a WF7 or even a WF6 to lessen to load on the rod and thus have it cast closer to the way our stiffer graphite rods do today.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

No, I don't think so.