Best Bang for the Buck Fishing Trip?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by saffman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. saffman

saffman Member

Planning a week long trip for two anytime in the next 12 months to celebrate a milestone event. Prefer a continuous float trip rather than a lodge type excursion. Kamchatka would be great but it's not in the budget. Figure about $4,000 per person max. South America? or B.C. ? Or ??? Appreciate all the upcoming input!

2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Hit South America in our winter, or New Zealand. The latter might be my choice since they speak English there and my Spanish and Portuguese are non existent. Hmm, maybe a week in the Elk River valley in BC. Base yourself out of Fernie and have 5 or 6 guided days?

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I don't have any specifics to share on outfitters or cost but if you're living in Trout Central you'd probably enjoy a different experience. High on my list is a saltwater trip to Kodiak Island. Multiple species of salmon plus halibut, lings, and rockfish all available near shore on 10-12wt rods. Think August.

Mike Ediger likes this.
  4. Dustin Toney

Dustin Toney New Member

The Smith RIver in Montana. Draw only to float it.

It takes about 5 days.

Beautiful!!!!!

Great Fishing!!!

5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I was just looking at this site earlier today, seems pretty reasonable. Silvers can be off the hook there if you hit it right.
    http://yakutatlodge.com/packages/

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

If you have not been to Alaska, that should be on the short list... arguably the best fly fishing waters in the world. Peak months offer salmon, trout and grayling all at the same time.

7. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Maybe even Sept, but the amazing thing about Kodiak is the fishing can be off the charts, plus wildlife, remoteness with no one else around, it is just unlike anything you can do down here. Pick the right outfitter and you can fish freshwater/saltwater all in the same day. Casting a fly from the deck of a boat to schools of salmon in saltwater bay with Grizz walking the beach, eagles over-head.... then head up the river walk the banks again with Grizz upstream and downstream, fish till your arms are sore....just a surreal experience. At least it was for me.

troutpocket likes this.
  8. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

christmas island!!!!! Saw it on a fly fishing show I watch and as soon as I can afford it I am there. I know its not a long float but god damn it looks fun

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

dean, dean, and did i mention the dean

10. kjsteelhead

kjsteelhead Member

Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho is an unforgettable trip. There are several commercial guides who run first-class trips. If you go later in the summer the cutthroat fishing is ridiculous.

Derek Young likes this.
  11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I did that float last September with Middle Fork River Expeditions out of Stanley. 6 days and 5 nights of incredible scenery, 14 exciting rapids, lots of wildlife, great food, beautiful campsites and outrageous dry fly action from cutthroats all day long. I went with a group and I think got a special rate. We paid $2300 per person plus airfare and a rental car from Boise, and a night before the trip and one after the trip in Stanley. Check this trip out!

12. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Have you considered a Canadian Steelhead trip like the Dean (as suggested) or similar?

13. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

x3 on the MF Salmon trip. Great experience and you will have plenty of change left over given the budget you mentioned. The Smith is another excellent choice and it's not all lottery. There are 2-3 outfitter launches per day that you can just buy like any other guided trip, subject to availability. It's almost the same wilderness experience as the MF Salmon, but an easier trip logistically since you can go via Great Falls or Helena vs Stanley and Salmon. I got lucky and pulled a Smith permit this year and will be going DIY.

14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

An outfitter buddy of mine is running a trip on the Smith this June and looking to fill it. It is $3800, which is why I'm not going! The MF Salmon is a better bargain IMO. Rick

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

The Dean and most other Canadian premium waters run well over the $4000/person budget the OP mentioned.