NFR Best Cell Phone For Marginal Reception Areas

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old406Kid, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

I have a cabin in a marginal reception area of western MT and currently have an I Phone SE with Verizon service.
    On rare occasions I can make a call or text but more often than not I end up driving up the road several miles to an area of reception. I'm not one to be on the phone or text but I have an 87 year old mother and some rental properties so worry about emergencies.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

2. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

At & t and Verizon. Google it to awaken your third eye and truly understand how fucked the cell phone companies have us

3. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

After traveling all over the US, including the area that you mention, my vote is for Verison, with ATT a close second. I have gotten calls with Verison in some of the most remote areas that even surprised me. Usually I outperform my buddies with ATT. Still places like Mid Canon on the Missouri only let me text....it is still not perfect. I'd like to go to one of the lower cost providers, but they just don't perform

4. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

pps.....I should have added that you might consider adding a Wilson to your equipment, it does extend the range....

5. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Jim could you please explain what is a Wilson? I'm curious

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

It's the carrier, not the phone. I've been side by side with friends who have different plans with other carriers and one of us could call; the other, "no service."

weiliwen likes this.
  7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Old406Kid likes this.
  8. jwg

jwg Active Member

sounds to me like your question is less about which carrier in general has better coverage, and more like, which carrier has better service to your specific location.

If there are others nearby, ask them what carrier they use, and how good the service is, or as implied by Steve, have multiple folks with different carriers all in the same place at your cabin and compare. if you can arrange it.

before getting our hs kids cell phones we had them ask around about carriers with their friends, and changed our carrier so they would have good service at high school, so we could coordinate transportation with all their after school activities

j

weiliwen likes this.
  9. jwg

jwg Active Member

seems like this would require a separate existing internet connection, via cable or wireless or something, and then enhances cellular locally. Is that right.
    So if the cabin has not other service, this would not help?
    j

Old406Kid likes this.
  10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Welcome to rural cell phone land. I chose ATT when we first moved here as my Boeing ATT cell phone got great coverage. It has worked pretty well but we definitely experience no service in various spots all around here. In speaking with locals who have Verizon, they too have dead areas, but it sounds like better coverage overall - which matches what I've read on the web (VZ best for Rocky Mountain west).

In addition to the mountain and valley terrain being a challenge, they simply don't invest in tower saturation in areas with low saturation of users (along interstates the exception). It's the trade you make for living in paradise.

speyfisher likes this.
  11. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

The closest electricity is 6 miles in one direction and 10 in the other but ironically we have internet.
    Quite a number of years ago they ran a fiber optic line through the valley and this spring we were able to get a transmitter in a vault 1/4 mile away and a special modem that links to it at our house.

The reason I asked about various phones is that my wife has an iphone 5, same provider, and seems to be able to text most anytime where my SE rarely will.

jwg likes this.
  12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Yes, you need an always on internet connection but nothing more than what most households currently have. I have set these up at a number of different locations and they work fairly well. One thing I did notice if you make or accept a call while using the extender and hop in your car the call will not transfer to a cell tower and will be dropped.

13. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

My new Droid will make calls over WiFi.
    Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Old406Kid likes this.
  14. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

Out in the Driftless Area, ATT has no reception, Verizon only on the ridges, and the best of the lot in that area is US Cellular. OTOH, I can't even get a US Cellular contract living north of Chicago.

I got a handheld "ham" radio and license (KD9GGY) to operate it, and I carry that if there is an emergency. If I broadcast on 20 meters frequency, somebody will always answer; there's a lot of folks who sit around all day listening to amateur radio, and nothing would please them more than to answer a call to help. Usually, though, I'm listening to 70CM or 2M for the shorter range stuff.

quilbilly likes this.
  15. gt

gt Active Member

Wilson electronics makes cell phone amplifiers and repeaters. they boost the outgoing signal strength considerably. i had this installed on my boat and always had a strong cell phone signal. as always, it is the height of the antenna along with location that will make the difference for you.

Buzzy and Old406Kid like this.