Best dubbing whirler

dogsnfish

People on another forum really liked the turbo, but I also think Mark, Kelvin and GAT have a point that the shorter one may be easier to use. Both look similar to the ones at the bottom of the page here: http://flytyingtools.com/tools/dubbing-tools.html. I wonder if they are the same tools and Wasatch just adds very nice wood to them? I have several of the Wasatch and they are very nice.

GAT

Dumbfounded
The shorter version works fine for me. The long handle versions get in my way. I figure if an ACE fly tyer and fly tying author like Darrell Martin uses the short design, it's good enough for me :)

dogsnfish

The shorter version works fine for me. The long handle versions get in my way. I figure if an ACE fly tyer and fly tying author like Darrell Martin uses the short design, it's good enough for me :)
I like the looks of the short one. The turbo was getting a lot of attention on the spey forum because it was used by Marty Howard in his video with Dec Hogan. I have a longer one from another company, but my vise is mounted on a pedestal, so the only room I have is between the head and the table top. That would not be a problem if I mounted my vise with a c-clamp at the edge of my bench, so the longer one could hang down a bit below the bench. Where are people getting the short one?

GAT

Dumbfounded
I bought mine at the local fly shop but I've seen them online. It would probably be a good idea to check one of the WFF sponsors to see if they sell them.

Krusty

I use one similar to this. Darrell Martin first showed me how to use the tool at a flytying Expo. It works better than anything else I've tried yet. I don't like the ones with the long handles in the least.

Of course if you learn to split the tying thread as Hans and others do, you won't need to make a dubbing loop but instead use the thread. I'm still working on that technique and am getting better each time I try. The hard part is splitting the thread but once you do, the dubbing fits in snug as a rug and all you have to do is spin your thread bobbin.
That tool works great...but now I'm using Norvise...no dubbing tools are necessary for superb 'dub-jobs'.