Best dubbing whirler

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ben Swaner, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

The one GAT and Kelvin are using are, imo the best. You are able to spin a longer loop with the shorter tool and this model is heavy and gets the job done with one spin.

2. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

People on another forum really liked the turbo, but I also think Mark, Kelvin and GAT have a point that the shorter one may be easier to use. Both look similar to the ones at the bottom of the page here: http://flytyingtools.com/tools/dubbing-tools.html. I wonder if they are the same tools and Wasatch just adds very nice wood to them? I have several of the Wasatch and they are very nice.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The shorter version works fine for me. The long handle versions get in my way. I figure if an ACE fly tyer and fly tying author like Darrell Martin uses the short design, it's good enough for me :)

4. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I like the looks of the short one. The turbo was getting a lot of attention on the spey forum because it was used by Marty Howard in his video with Dec Hogan. I have a longer one from another company, but my vise is mounted on a pedestal, so the only room I have is between the head and the table top. That would not be a problem if I mounted my vise with a c-clamp at the edge of my bench, so the longer one could hang down a bit below the bench. Where are people getting the short one?

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I bought mine at the local fly shop but I've seen them online. It would probably be a good idea to check one of the WFF sponsors to see if they sell them.

6. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

7. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

That tool works great...but now I'm using Norvise...no dubbing tools are necessary for superb 'dub-jobs'.

8. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member