Best fishing dog breed?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by RogueBum, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

I'm with Kerry, any dog with an athletic type build will make a good fishing dog. I've had a Catahoula that I picked up at a rescue in Montana for a few years now. They're notorious game chasers, but I usually don't fish places where that's going to really get him into trouble, because I like bringing him along. A dog should be able to go chase some critters while you're chasing fish. And his antics have turned into some of my favorite fishing memories.

If you're thinking in the 30-50 range, I think that's the criteria for a fishing companion. Dogs are rad.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I had springer spaniels for years & they were great all around bird & family dogs. as fishing dogs they were okay but they like the water & can be pain when they decide it's swimming time.

3. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    I had a springer spaniel years ago (20+) and I couldn't get her to stay out of any water we were near. I think as a fishing dog, I would have to figure some way to fish and throw a stick in the opposite direction of the water at the same time. Great dog with kids and one of the best temperaments I have seen to date.

4. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

I have a Brittany spaniel who is a great fishing buddy. She won't swim, she'll only wade, so she doesn't disturb the water. She's a good boat dog too.

aplTyler likes this.
  5. Rodney K. Pabst

Rodney K. Pabst Member

Newfoundlands are great fishing breeds. Not big or fast runners and your own personal life guard!

Kerry S, my buddy lost Buttons to bone cancer last winter but now has Boomer, 5 months old / 70 lbs. w/ yellow eyes. Looking forward to fishing / camping with the "little boy". How is Kuma doing?

Rod P5220118.JPG

6. RogueBum

Home Page:
    That's a BIG, beautiful dog! Unfortunately, I fish out of a little Tote-N-Float. I think a Newfoundland would sink it!

7. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I'm working with my Brittany pup, Max. So far, he likes the water, but full on swimming isn't tempting him... yet.

In fact, we just got off the Washougal. He loves to splash along the margins, but he's not diving in and swimming in the eddies/pools. Good size too... our guy should be about #40 by the time he's done growing.

Attached Files:

8. Rodney K. Pabst

Rodney K. Pabst Member

RougeBum

Yea, I think you are right about their weight, the last one I fished with for seven years got up to 185 lbs. Great dog and liked to walk the rivers and shore fish at the lakes. Some of the comments about how you train and/or introduce the dog to the water are very good points. We started by training at the beach with a small break. No beach, start on the shore of a shallow beach on a lake. I think, IMHO you can make any breed a fishing dog. Good luck
    Rod

9. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    Can't go wrong with a lab. Sophie has fished with Donna and me in 6 states, wading and rafting a variety of rivers and hiking into wilderness lakes high in the backcountry. Note that she's a relatively small pure breed lab - about 65 lbs. donna and sophie.jpg Sophie in raft.jpg

surfnsully likes this.
  10. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

hydrophobic dogs make great fishing biddies. this one is better behaved on the water than the humans.

Attached Files:

Randall Clark and KerryS like this.
  11. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

a couple of years ago, I had to put down my beloved Springer/Lab mix. He was a blast to take fishing with me, although he sometimes had a mind of his own and couldn't sit still for very long. He'd also lover to try to catch any fish that I'd catch and he loved to swim. So, being that I typically don't take things too seriously, he was great...I just had to make sure I only took him to places where there weren't too many other people around...miss that dog...
    [​IMG]

My current dog is a Brit/Lab mix we got from a shelter who apparently spent the first year and a half of life as a stray down in Baja. He still has a little bit of that "I'm going this direction no matter what" in him...but he's getting better with training, a little stubborn but all dogs are trainable, some just take a little longer.

Both have been amazing family dogs.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  12. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    I forgot to mention the BEST thing about fishing with Sophie: She's an expert at spotting rising trout! She's alerted me to several subtle feeders on rivers over the last few years.

The only problem with that is in lakes - unless we specifically make her sit and wait (or shore or in the raft) she considers risers in stillwater to be fair game for retrieval! When we are backpacking we have to make her sit and wait in camp (she'll quiver and whine but won't dive in) until we are done fishing. Then she'll spend seemingly hours swimming from one rising fish to the next trying to retrieve them. She'll even dive, looking for something to grab and bring back to us.

Steve Call likes this.
  13. PT

PT Physhicist

A lab is a good animal to have as a fishing companion. I can't count the number of times I've been out in the water (up on the Sky) and my dog would be sneering at something in the woods. Piece of mind. They've gone to work with me every day since they were pups and laid on the back of whatever watercraft I had at the time. Hand signals would have them move down the bank to stay out of my back cast range. Brook, the chocolate, helped me fend off 3 guys on the SF Stilly many years ago with the aid of the butt section of my 8 wt RPL. And Tule my current dog kept me sane thru some tough times. Nothing like taking a good looking yellow lab to the dog park when you're hopelessly single.... :)

I'd have another lab in a heartbeat because of the breed. Can handle any weather and they aren't high strung. Not the smartest of dogs but obedient enough to teach anything to. My next dog might be on the smaller side so considering a Portugese Waterdog.

May 28 2014 212.JPG lkr2.jpg Misc9292013 019.JPG

smc, JesseC and Dan Nelson like this.
  14. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Awe man, awesome! I love Brittany puppies. Congrats!

Float tube.jpg

Rocky dog.jpg

aplTyler likes this.
  15. RogueBum

Home Page:
    That's a big dog!!! That would sink me!

Travis,
    Is your Brittany with you on a single man pontoon? Do you have a landing for her or is it just a "balancing act"?