Best Hand Gun to carry while Fly Fishing... Chest holster.

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mike Wilson, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

Sorry Mike, I don't know the provenance of that art, but it's a beaut ain't it! I grew up reading the stuff you collect. How many do you have of of the lone outdoorsman stumbling backwards looking up at a cougar menancingly perched on a big rock above him? Extra points if his gun is leaning against a log he was sitting on while tending his fire! :thumb:

2. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Revolver in 41 or 44 Mag. Ruger makes a good one. S and W has a few.

Not too cheap

3. YoungGun9

YoungGun9 Member

Glock 23. Its compact, and you can purchase it in a 40.

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

For what he's asking about (huge critters) the best choice is the 10mm, not the .40. The 29 is a subcompact 10 shot magazine 10mm. Smaller than the 23 and more powerful. It didn't sit right with me though. I much prefer the one size up if not two. Unfortunately there is no compact 10mm that I'm aware of. Kind of weird...

5. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

I have to agree with Dave and Roper. I've been hunting elk for 15 years and find it extremely difficult to get close to them without them being aware of you. In my experience, even when you do manager to get close, they always run the other direction immediately. If you do feel like you still need something a little louder than you can yell, I would opt for the air horn. Like Dave indicated, if by chance you ended up ventilating one, you are "gonna have some splainin' to do", and the Gameys aren't likely to buy into your story. If you're still looking for a good pistol that has a multitude of uses including defense, Taurus make one called "The Judge". It's a .45 colt and .410 shotgun shell. It's good for rattlesnakes, grouse, and gang bangers. It's a little light for bears, but it'd probably make a cougar think twice.

Eric

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

It was one of the first I looked at when I started my search. It sucks for a field gun. It's freakin' huge! It's freakin' inaccurate. 2 arms lenghts away, it's probably fine, but out at 10 yards or farther it's pretty bad. But seriously check one out if you are interested. Really big gun. With the accuracy issues it's like the worlds biggest derringer. Big gun... I like the Taurus autos. But this gun is all hat and no cattle IMO

7. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Most altercations that you'd be using a defense pistol for are going to take place inside of 15 yards. It's accuracy certainly isn't match grade, but how accurate do you have to be with 00 buckshot? You are right about it's size. It's not a gun to carry concealed. You'd want to wear this one proudly on your hip.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

what does a 410 hold? 3 balls? I want some accuracy. And having shot this gun I can tell you, it's not a 15 yd gun. It's a 3 yd gun. But my complaint isn't with the gun as a self defense weapon. I can think of much better ones, but my problem is with it as a field gun. Remember this post is asking about a good gun to take into the field for use against animal attacks. Now you can argue all day if that is necessary or not. I personally don't think it's necessary, and only really worry about 2 legged scum suckers, but of course I want smaller, but I also want a gun that is reasonably accurate out beyond 15 yds. This one isn't. thick fornt sight. grooved receiver for the rear sight. And the bullet flies free in the cylinder for a ways before hitting the barrel, which is only lightly rifled to work with the .410. Not a great gun in any way. Fun concept. Fun "novelty" gun to shoot off on some BLM land at water jugs. But not a particularly useful firearm.

9. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Okay...I fold...All I got is a pair of deuces.

10. Philster

Philster Active Member

Not trying to win anything. Just suggesting you go to a range and shoot the gun like I did before recommending it. At one range when I asked to shoot it the guy said "Oh yeah. The Max Payne gun..." Apparently the gun was in that movie (never saw it) and a lot of folks buy one because it rained down holy heck in the film. In real life not so much. Just like flipping over a couch and ducking behind it in makes a great bullet proof obstruction in movies. I'm surprised we don't see more reports of "found dead behind a flipped over couch, both the couch and the victim were riddled with bullets" :clown:

11. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

I am planning to shoot the following:
    Ruger Super Red Hawk 44mag
    Springfield XD 45cal
    Glock 22 40cal (was recommended by a policeman)
    S&W 357mag Revolver

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Make sure you fire a 10mm glock. as well. The 40 cal was pretty much invented because women and smaller male (They say it was mostly a hand size thing. Pick up a 15 round Glock 20 and you'll see :clown:) FBI agents couldn't handle the 10mm. Either it's a .40 cal magnum, or the .40 cal is a 10mm short depending on your perspective. Either way you look at it, the 10mm is a more powerful round in the same diameter. Only pointing this out because if you're already planning on shooting the 44, I figure you can handle the 10mm.

13. Fly Boy

Fly Boy .

A 10mm recoil isn't that bad. I'd say a little less than a .357 and has about the same energy. The grips are big though. A bit big for my hands.
    I'm a fan of double action revolvers for their inherent safety (heavy triggers/transfer bars) and reliability with less moving parts.

As for charging elk. I've been charged by a cow elk on a trail at the Hoh. Lots of noise got her to turn around, but she came out of nowhere, FAST! and charged several times until enough people had arrived at the same part of the trail and we all banged sticks together and shouted.
    I think it would have been a bad idea to shoot her and really not necessary, but there are other reason to carry a pistol in the woods.

14. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

I feel you, I know about women who get pissed off... nothing more dangerous.

15. wet line

wet line New Member

Well if YOU are really serious about big critters just get a .50 cal desert Eagle and strap it on your chest. If it is a revover then go to the .454 Casul and just get it over with! Forget about all this .40 cal BS and just go to the top of the line.

Dave