Best Hand Gun to carry while Fly Fishing... Chest holster.

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mike Wilson, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Have shot several Desert Eagles... and have also shot the Alaskan Guide Bear Gun from Cabelas... both are 50 cal... don't think that is what I am looking for. I have debated about lenght of barrel though. I have been told you will have more force on impact with a longer barrel. I don't need, or want to conceal the weapon, I just need to wear it on my chest to keep it out of the water. That is why I have been looking at a tactical. It has a longer barrel, and according to people who have shot the weapon, has a larger grip. I have very big hands and will need a larger grip to fit.

2. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Super red hawk Alaskan coach! I know you dont like to be told what to buy, but when you select it, I WILL say I told you so. You have giant hands, and the grip on the SRA is massive. You are just not a tactical guy coach. Also, another thing to consider is revolvers are better (as I understand it) at loading snake shot. I really believe this is the most prevalent danger to river fisherman. Years ago I was told by a handgun expert not to shoot shot shells in an auto pistol.

3. woods

woods Member

Pertaining to the original post... IMO, you will not be lead astray if you purchase a 44mag revolver or a .45 XD for what you want. Sounds like you have the go ahead to purchase one, so I say pull the trigger (pun intended) on a new handgun purchase.

You might also want to look at .357 revolvers. A 4" .357 is considered a classic by many as one of the most versatile handguns available. Manageable recoil, reliable, cheap(er) target practice with .38spl and can load it hot with .357 mag ammo

The XD will probably be lighter weight due to the polymer frame, and also have more rounds capacity. You said weight isn't an issue, but more weight will lead to more fatigue on long days of fishing, and if its uncomfortable then you are less likely to take it with you.

4. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Thanks El Jeffe, we need to go shoot some guns. Woods you make a great point, being uncomfortable wearing it because of weight may cause me to leave the weapon at home.... or in the car, thanks.

5. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

and I have a 4" .357 for sale in the classifieds if you decide to go that route...just sayin'.

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

XDs are great guns. But in my searching, which isn't concluded by any means, it's been pointed out to me that there are .22 conversion barrels for Glocks . Being able to burn 500 rounds for under $20, even with reduced recoil, from the same gun you're going to carry when it matters is a beautiful thing. Same thing with Sig 220 (45acp), 226, and 229. Again, I think the XDs are great, but centerfires are expensive to practice with. Since I'm not worried about wildlife, just A-holes, I'm likely going to end up with a 9mm. And the XD and Ruger sr9 are on the short list with Glock. I've fired all 3 and if you wouldn't be happy being handed any of them, you're out of my league.

7. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Much good debate and wisdom here. Although I carry a sidearm - Glock 45 cal or 10mm, or a Ruger 44 mag - when afield, I also always carry bear spray which I consider my first line of defense. In any number of videos I've seen the spray is the better choice.

It's fast, widely dispersed, effective, and non-lethal. (My son and I dirt-dived it w/ an expired can and the stuff is horrible! Even in small doses) My sidearm is intended to be employed as backup or if, God forbid, some unwanted visitor gets into the tent at night, where bear spray would be unwise to release in such close-quarters.

8. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

I talked to a local policeman about his choice and he recommended the Glock 22 40cal as his choice for the very same reason you have Philster. He switches his Glock 22 40cal to a 9mm barrel for shooting at the local range and also has the 40cal barrel for business when it counts. He told me that if I go that route to be sure to shoot the 40cal once in a while to make sure I was familiar with the different characteristics of the gun with a different ammo. The Glock is going to be a top contender here. Haven't shot a gun yet and I am beginning to narrow the field. I originally thought the officer was talking about a .22cal barrel, I called him about it and he said that I got confused. He was referring to the Glock 22 a 40cal gun and being able to switch it out to a cheaper 9mm round to take target practice with. I am interested to find if there is in face a .22 conversion for this gun.

9. Philster

Philster Active Member

Apparently the 22 conversion kits are aftermarket kits by Advantage Arms. Check my "One for the Glock owners" thread. Unfortunately my thread got jumped on by the anti-gun folks, but there is good info buried in it from lots of folks who carry about the various options out there.

10. Philster

Philster Active Member

Here's a Youtube vid on the conversions

11. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Thanks Philster. I also found a conversion for a Springfield that turns it from a .40 into a 9mm. Need to do some field testing now. Which one feels right and the one I naturally shoot more accurately.

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

The glock has different grip angle than most guns out there. So if you have experience with other guns it may feel awkward. not to me, because I've shot Ruger MK 22s for ever, and it's not that different from those. On the flip side something like a 1911 feels pretty alien in my hands. Just be aware that if you have experience with other guns the Glock will likely not "feel right" the first time you pick it up.

13. Uboatman

Uboatman Is it possible to fish, surf and golf all at once?

OK, so I have been going around on this as well... but for a different reason. I travel quite a bit and recently have been able to get up to AK and fish on my own. I've been stopping and buying a can of bear spray, but at 40bucks a pop, that adds up. My motivation if bear protection, but also so I dont piss away 40-50 bucks on a can of bear spray that I can not bring home with me (ol TSA doesn't let you carry that on, or check it folks).

So, leaning towards a G20 10mm. Then 4-5 trips into it, at least I have a half a G20 paid for. Any one else fly and fish a bit and carry for the same reason? Last time out, I went to the local fly shop and dropped off my can of spray and said.... offer this up as a loner to other fly in and out guys. Seems like that would be the best option, that fly shops just lend out cans and hopefully people bring them back. maybe I'll start a website :)

14. Joe Mateas

Joe Mateas Member

All this plastic gun talk makes me want to vomit....JK... I don't know about any of you guys but I carry a either a Springfield or Smith 1911, more accurate and reliable(as long as you have a few hundred down the pipe) than any other.... Plus it's a piece of American history. I guess if you want something that looks takticool or are looking to be the next mall ninja in the hood, a Block... I mean Glock or an XD will work but they are not the most accurate guns, no plastic frame I've shot has ever compaired to the 1911 or the good old all metal smith auto's. If weight is the issue I don't see it, my S&W 1911PD is commander length and weighs less loaded than my full size Springer does empty, it has an aluminum frame. I only carry for the two legged critters so .45 ACP will be fine but I'm not too sure of it's penetration on big game(I'd hate to shoot something only to have it run off with a bullet left in it to get infected and die alot slower/more painfull), I'd feel more comfortable with a 10mm, .44mag, or .357mag.

15. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

Your 1911s are more reliable than any other handgun? I don't see how a gun could be more reliable than a Glock. They could be equal at best. Bury a 1911 and a Glock in the sand, roll 'em around in the mud, drop 'em from the roof, then see which is more reliable. Glocks are accurate enough for a defensive weapon, about as reliable as a hammer, easy to operate right or left handed, and affordable. Their mag capacity is typically higher than 1911s too.
    You can joke all you want that Glock owners are trying to fit into some kind of image, but I could easily make that argument about 1911 owners.