Best non-tacky resin??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, Sep 24, 2013.

1. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

The video below shows how fast my resin cures. The video was made by a fly tier who bought a resin kit from me at the 2014 Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener Conclave in Madison, Wisconsin. I was tying Harrison Steeves TransparAnts and the video show how he ties one.

The reason I post the video it that it shows how fast my resin cures. You will notice at about 4:25 into the video, that the resin cures so fast with the high power flashlight that it smokes. The fast cure also limits the possibility of any oxygen inhibition and a tacky surface.

My resin is designed to cure VERY fast so it saves time for the fly tier. But that wisp of smoke is overheating and can discolor the resin. Overheating depends on how thick the resin layer is and how close the light is to the resin.

If you are using the high power light and it smokes, back off initially so you have a less intense beam. The resin may smoke when you keep a UV laser on one spot too long. With the laser, turn the laser on away from the fly and then "paint" the resin by moving the laser over the resin surface to prevent overheating.

I opted for a fast cure and the fly tier can control the rate of cure depending on thick the resin coat is and how close the light is to the resin. It doesn't take much time to learn how to get the fastest cure possible without over heating the resin. If I can save you 20 seconds a fly on resin cure, that means more flies tied per hour.

2. lando

lando Member

I just received my order of Silvercreek's resin last week. After tying with it over the weekend, I have to say that it is the best resin/epoxy I've used and I have Solarez, Loon and Clear Cure.

Dipnet likes this.
  3. Russ Kendall

Russ Kendall Member

Kudos to Silvercreek! Just got my bottle of UV Crystal Coat and it is "as advertised". It dries completely tack free and hard in seconds. No need to hit your fly with nail polish as the finish is crystal clear (no pun intended). At $15 dollars, it also beats what you will pay for CCG, Loon, et al.

4. ron henry

ron henry New Member

Ditto on Silvercreek's resin. It is tack free and sets up quickly. Good stuff.

5. silvercreek

6. silvercreek

James,

Your resin is on the way. Thanks for giving my resin a vote of confidence and I hope you will let us know how it performs for you.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I will definitely be placing an order with Silvercreek as soon as funds dictate. Ira let me sample his during a clouser tying session at my house last week. I was VERY impressed with the cure time and complete lack of tackiness. Great stuff! I also find the bottle with brush way easier to use than the ccg syringes I have

Speyrod GB likes this.
  8. silvercreek

For some reason my IP address has been blocked. You can email me at picaboo(at)charter(dot)net replacing (at) and (dot) with the correct symbols.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. Cold

Cold Member

silvercreek,

I'm by no means a tech wizard, but I think that if you disconnect your router for a short period of time (like 10 minutes, I think), and reconnect it, it'll give you a new IP.

10. dbk

dbk Active Member

Tied some chironomids using Silvercreek's resin.... the fish loved them! It is exactly as he says it is- tack free, cures quickly. Great product.

11. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Silvercreek's is the first uv cure resin I've used but it cures like glass in a few seconds and is quite easy to use. I'm.still learning, but here are my first trials.
    uploadfromtaptalk1398747403940.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398747422508.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398747494285.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398747576727.jpg

BakerSean1, Ron McNeal and Eyejuggler like this.
  12. Chironimo

Chironimo New Member

I've always used Loctite to coat my chironomids. However, Silvercreek's Crystal UV resin and hi-power light is the real deal. It cures in about 5 seconds. And it cures faster than Loctite. Great stuff! Thanks for the prompt shipment Henry.

Bob

13. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
  14. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

+1 for Silvercreek's Crystal UV, great stuff, dries fast and hard nearly like glass! I still keep the Loon stuff around because it's thicker (goopy-er) and if I need that I have it too. Here's a fly tied with the Chrystal UV from Henry.

[​IMG]

Eyejuggler and Gary Knowels like this.
  15. silvercreek

Thanks got the positive reviews.

My IP address is blocked and I have been unable to contact Chris. I am replying from a McDonalds hot spot.

If you want information about my resin, email me directly using picaboo(at)charter(dot)net

Substitute @ for (at) and . for (dot) and put resin in the UV subject line.