Best Pontoon under 1200.00?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyfishsteel, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

There is a guy in Tukwila that sells pontoons that are darn near the same as a Skookum, pontoon wise anyway. The frame isnt as nice, though, but it does have a standing platform, just no upright support. I think the 10ft goes for around $1100. I don't think you could tell a Skookum pontoon from one of these, the frame is a different story. I beleive the place is Xstream fly fishing or something along those lines. I might buy one of these myself, but will wait for the sportsmen's show to look at more boats first.

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    I would take Kristen's advice and go with the watermaster. They are so much more portable, and wayyyy easier to fish out of. I have used one a fair amount and love it!

Peace,
    Andy

3. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Outcast makes the nicest boats in that price range in my opinion. I've not seen the recent editions of the Buck's Bags Bronco's, but my brother has the Outcast Pac 9000 and it is a sweet boat. It's a little on the heavy side, but it is put together very well. I think it's in that price range. If not, I'd look at the Bronco.

4. In_too_deep

In_too_deep Member

I picked up a PAC 9000 for under 1200 last year, and that's Can$. Never being one to leave well enough alone, a bunch of accessories have been added for lake fishing including a standing platform.

Here is my webpage:
    http://www.badger.rchomepage.com/pontoon_boat.html

5. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Wow, I like the idea of your homemade deck for your fishfinder! I have been trying to figure out the best way for my rod holder forever.. Nice!

6. MrP

MrP Member

Ditto the Watermaster or Waterstrider. Every decision depends on how you are going to use the gear but I would suggest, as Zen did, the WM is way the heck more portable.

7. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

The WMs do look nice, but with only a 3 yr warranty at 1050.00 dollars? You should get at least a 5 yr warranty, let alone a 10 yr warranty for something over a grand....:confused:

8. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

check out the archives for watermasters. i have 2 of them and would not trade either for any pontoon. mike w

9. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    I would recommend taking your friend to The Fly Show in Bellevue this February. All the companies will be there and you can see for yourself the different boating options.

I am looking for a river capable craft myself and it looks like I will be getting a watermaster with the hard seat and anchor.

jason

10. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I have to say go with the Watermaster. I have one of the old Tote n Floats. Without a doubt the best feature is when you float and see that tasty spot all you have to do is stand and the boat will just rotate around you. Fish the spot and get back in your boat.

11. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

I know what you are saying and I could add a few more horror stories to what you have said. I wish I would have bought the Outcast instead.:mad: :mad:

12. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Actually, Outcast produced Scaddens boats, until he went with a different company in Utah. He's not the smartest buisnessman

13. trtslayer

trtslayer New Member

take a look at the outdoor discovery craft (odc 915) made by creek company. Comes with everything to get started, has 9ft pontoons, hefty oars, fins, a sturdy frame, a good pump, and an aluminum cargo deck with a motor mount. I bought one last year and I am really happy with the quality of mine. the best part about it is that you can get a 2004 model which is the same as the 2005 model except for the seat. I paid the company I bought it from an extra 30$ i think to send a swivel, padded, bucket seat that fit the frame perfectly. I advise springing for the seat if you decide to get it because the seat it comes with looks uncomfortable.

the 2005 model is 600$ and the 2004 is only 400$ the price makes it sound cheap but it is a quality boat not flimsy at all!

I bought mine from this company over the internet although I called when I ordered to make sure I got the seat;)

http://www.outdrs.com/xcart/catalog/Creek-Company-ODC-915-2004-Model-p-16686.html

here is the link to creek co. page with the 2005 model
    http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=66&Department=Pontoon+Boats

trt

14. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

Outcast, Buck's Bags, Waterskeeter, and Creek Company are not in the same class as Skookum. For boats that are on the same level as Skookum (and at more reasonable prices) look at Xstream, BadCat, Black Bear, and WaterReady.

15. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

From the looks of it, Outcast boats are 1 step down from Skookums, and everything else that has a bladder is 2 steps down from Skookum. I've seen the Bucks Bags, and imo the frames and welds are below the Outcast.

BB South fork and Xtreme models use a smaller diameter tube and welds are below the qulaity of the Outcast. I do like the fact of Stainless steel though, like the Steelheader. Other than that, Bucks Bags do not touch the quality of Outcasts.

Outcasts imo are the BEST 14 mil Polyurathane bladder type Pontoons in the world!:ray1: