Best Salmon/Steelhead Fly Box These Days?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by HauntedByWaters, Nov 6, 2008.

1. wolverine

wolverine Member

I like the C&F's but don't like their price. I use the Flambeau gray and the SA clear double sided boxes in the field. Both are waterproof and float. For storage at home I've got at least 30 of the large clear boxes to store flies in. Reminds me to buy more storage boxes as its getting fly tying season!

2. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Funny, I got some smaller cigar tins that work great too...I've got c&f, the wheatley clip box, bug barn..I pretty much now throw what i'm using in the clear plastic box's with dividers..To dry um I hang um off some part of my anatomy...Not like your needing to change up flies for any real reason when salmon/steelie hunting...
    I've also been enlightened to the use of plastic baggies for my tube flies!!! Kind of nice to pack small and light!!!

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I covet the C&F. I inherited an aluminum with clips and divider leaf that is awesome for mid sized flies (probably similar to the one Les spoke of). I use plano clear top boxes from wal-mart at $5 each in three sizes. They come with ripple foam. Larger flies go in the boxes as designed, smaller flies go into boxes that I've added ripple foam to the clear lid so that I can get a bug-gillion flies into the box. If I knew what I was doing I could save space and carry fewer flies. I don't, so I pack them full to minimize the number of pockets filled with boxes full of flies.

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I've got some Wheatleys old and newer, C&F, the Big SA boxes were great in their day, but Cliffs boxes are the best going today. Check out the new Tube/string leach box they just came out with. Perfect for us T-14 poodle throwing mutts. Made in Wyoming and great people. Duffer

5. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Thanks for the heads up on this box Duff! That will be a truly helpful piece of equipment to me and I had no idea such a thing existed.

I just ordered one and I will let everyone know how it works with a review in the future. The only problem I forsee is that I might need 3 of them. :D

It is called Cliffs The Swinger Fly Box for those who want to look it up.

6. Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale Member

Have used this Perrine Fly Box for years with good success.
    There are springs underneath the aluminum strips that hooks fit into.

Empty, well, almost.
    [​IMG]

This box was purchased a lloonngg time ago.

7. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I used Perine boxes for years. I still have two with clips and the clear plasic swing leaf. I haven't seen the ones shown here for years. Didn't think they still made them. They were my favorite trout boxes, probably in the 1960s.
    Les

8. Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale Member

Like these?

[​IMG]

9. Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale Member

An old Hardy Fly Box.

[​IMG]

10. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I've got a box just like that. I inherited it from an old neighbor. I always wondered if the springs dulled or damaged the hook points. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

11. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

No problems with hook points. My problem with the box, which I still use, is the flies don't stay stuck real well.

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I dig clip boxes for my steelhead flies, for my big nasties I like cliff boxes, the new SA System X boxes look like they will be winners as well. CF designs makes great boxes but I just can't let myself spend $50 on a box... Also plano dived boxes are nice too, especially for the way I fish for salmon, with essentially 2 fly patterns but lots of em.

13. Tyler B

Tyler B Member

Plano boxes are great and cheap, it is inevetiable that your boxes will get moisture in them regardless of what type of boxes you fish. Try collecting the little silica packets that come in the bottom of the shoe boxes and throw a few of these in whatever box you fish and they suprisingly help get rid of some of the moisture and keeps your flies from rusting too much. You still need to pat dry your flies after a good soaking, but the silica packets do work pretty good.

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

if you get a metal clip box get one with holes in it because it'll let your flies dry out...

15. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I have a couple very nice clip boxes I have recieved over the years as gifts but the clips just don't hold flies. I want something that stays organized so I can see my options and know how many of a particular fly I have left. With the clip boxes I usually end up with a big pile of flies when I open them.