Best Spey Reel Value Right Now?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Jul 24, 2008.

1. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

2. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Great value reels, particularly for your purpose.

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I'm with Philster on the Cortand 200D. It cost about $100 and would take a large Spey line and ample backing. I've used a 200D labeled for Orvis Spey since 1991 It is still gong strong and has accounted for some darned nice steelhead. I recall that there was also a Cortland 140D, smaller but equally good for lighter weight Spey lines. I lobbied to beat hell with the Cortland folks to keep these reels in their lineup but wiser(?) heads prevailed.
    Another reel that I use for 8-9 weight Spey lines is the Scientific Anglers System II 89. It will taqke an 8 Spey line and ample backing. The larger SA System II 10-11 will engulf just about any Spey line.
    None of the above are large arbor reels.
    Les Johnson

4. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Just bought a Ross CLA for 230 thats pretty sweet. Not cheap but for what you could be spending its nothing.

5. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Les and Philster took the words right out of my mouth.

The 200D Magnum was my first ever spey reel and those babies are bullet proof. I've purchased more expensive reels since then but I'd be lying to say they were better. I think I paid maybe $125 for it. Great deal for a great reel.

CS

6. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Forgot all about those Cortland reels! Extremely overlooked, good quality, bomb proof reels that you should be able to pick up extremely reasonably.

Les's suggestions about the SA reels is a great one, too, and I would opt for the System 2's over the Cortland reels; a little 'heavy' relative to today's standards (but they really aren't heavy), which would work great for your spey purposes. Spools are inexpensive, the drags are great, the reel is reliable and affordable, the manufacturer should be around for a long time . . . all the right reasons to get one!

7. btfriar

btfriar New Member

if you want cheap but still not bad try the okuma sierra s10/11, its only 47$ new and has worked just fine for me. It will hold all the line you need. If you can I would jump up to the ross cla 6 at 290$.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I have an Okuma Integrity 10/11 and when I showed it to my local fly shop they said it should do just fine for starters. I think they are a few bucks more than the Sierra series. The sierras have a small drag knob the Integrity has a large star shaped drag knob. I have sierras in 5 and under weights and integrities in 5 and larger. For my fishing and budget they have been a great fit. Good luck.