Best SRC Flyline?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by freestoneangler, Feb 11, 2012.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Which SA Streamer Express? I see two versions listed; SA Galloup SE Long and the SA Mastery SE. From the description, I'm thinking the Mastery WF, Type F/S, 6-7 weight with the clear tip is the right one? I'll be using it with a VT2 691-4.

Thanks

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I use a Clear Camo on my 696 RPL
    for lakes and salt. Great for Coastal Cutts
    and a very good for Coho and Chums.

dK

3. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

David,
    I have the Outbound hover line for the very reason that you point out in your last paragraph. It allows me to extend the retrieve (without hanging up) on certain beaches/tide conditions while keeping tight contact on the fly. It works well with my switch rod. You make a very good point.

4. freestoneangler

Anyone using Orvis saltwater lines for beach fishing? If so which one and how do you like it?

Thanks

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Thanks Paul, I may pick one up but right now I'm pretty happy with the Streamer Express.

Freestone - pretty sure most beach guys are using the regular 30' head in the intermediate sink rate. At least I am. A few are using the extra fast sink but you have to strip faster than Carol Doda with it. The Galloup version has a 40' or longer sinking head and is primarily designed for fishing streamers in rivers.

6. freestoneangler

Changed my mind again (like a high school cheerleader :D )...away from the SA Streamer Express and now down to either the Cortland 444 Clear Camo or Cortland Precision Clear Camo.

Which would you pick for double duty use; beach action pitching clousers and for the lakes?

Need to order today... way behind getting this done for upcoming trips.

Thanks

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Now here's a question I've been needing to ask: which would be the best shop to fill my line needs regarding these types of lines. I can combine a trip over the hill to the shop, and hit Uwajimaya for some supplies, all in the same day! Got the rod coming, got the reel picked out, but I need the line!

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Get the precision with the Rocket Taper 2.

I prefer the Airflo 40+ off the beach but if you want one line to do both I think the Precision has a slight edge over the Classic.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I also recently purchased a 40+. Quite the bomb. It's a little two heavy for my RPL, but I have used a standard WF for years for sea run cutthroat and dry lines. I'm due for a new 5wt. rod anyway! I think a simple WF 10' sink-tip is a good sea run cutthroat line to get it below the surface. If you want "distance" then 40+ lines and the others are great, but using a standard WF will make you a little more relaxed on the beach after watching and playing with those lines that are heavier to handle but "shoot like a hell bomb"!

10. freestoneangler

11. Bob Young

Bob Young Active Member

For David Loy; I fish the Rio 'Hover' which they now call the 'slow intermediate' I'm with you on fishing the top couple of feet. I hardly ever hook a bullhead or flounder.
    The Airflow 40+ version works just as well.