Best wading/hiking boot?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Jason Rolfe, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

I came to the same conclusion, only with Patagonia boots, which for my freakishly wide foot, are amazingly comfortable, even after hiking a few miles.

2. Clay

Clay New Member

Check out the Korkers Wetlands... They are easy to convert and offer pretty good support for a wading boot. I have regular width feet and bought mine one size larger and they work great with a regular hiking sock. I'm kind of pickey about boots after several years in the Army and these are working out fine. I'm hard on boots too and so far they have taken the beating well. Very affordable as well. Good luck.

Clay

3. sss

sss New Member

I bought a pair of Korkers Outfitters from PSFC a month ago. I wore them out of the box on Tuesday for a 14 mile r/t hike to an Alpine lake. Yesterday, I switched to the felt soles for a all-day float trip on the Yak. The boots were great, the 2 different soles both worked outstanding.

Now if my old ass body could keep up with the boots, I'd have something :beer1:

4. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Yeah, I'm thinking of the Korkers konvertibles. They look solid with lots of protection and support and supposedly superlight with high qualilty materials.

My cheap hodgemans with studs have ZERO ankle support are killing the bottom of my db.bawling:

5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I use a 5mm windsurfing or surfing boot. I go through a pair every two years or so, the last pair met a bad end, a rat ate a hole in them when I had them stored under the porch. That rat is now dead.:thumb:

If things are too slippery for the rubberized sole, or if there's meaty boulders, I strap on a pair of tevas a size bigger for some extra grip. I hike with the Tevas on. And if you end up swimming, it doesn't feel like you're stuck in a workboot.

The downside is you gotta dry em out pretty quick otherwise they smell like my avatar.

6. Aaron Banks

Aaron Banks Member

I need to put in my two cents on the korkers....

Switching the soles is just a pain and a hastle to me. If your hiking between fishing holes you don't want to be switching soles everytime you start/stop fishing.

I'm with Andy and Dylan. Just wear the soles out then just buy new soles, not new boots. I like my korkers and don't mind replacing the sole, I think you may get a better fit if your willing to spend a little more $$$.

A.Banks

7. Scruffy Fly

Scruffy Fly New Member

Korker soles are quick and easy to remove install. Hassle is pretty low.

The large carbide cleats have great hold in all kinds of surfaces. climbing rocks they have fantastic hold even if it is bus size. The hold in slimmy cobble / boulder rivers is the best. Snow and ice do not cling to the rubber sole. Wet grassy slopes they work well.

I have not hiked more than a mile in them so I don't know what a long hike would be..

You could do a whole lot worse.

8. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

The swapping is pretty minor, but if you really hate swapping you could just leave the felts in the Korkers and wear them until it wears out-- then swap out the soles for new ones, right? Same principle, and even easier than replacing the felts on a 'regular' boot.

I've gone through several sets of boots... Chota Abrams Creek didn't fare too well, and Patagonia studded Beefy's were super comfortable and, uh, 'beefy.' The previous iteration of Patagonia wading shoe, which looked like the Beefy, actually wears out pretty fast.

I've had the Korkers for about 8 outings now and they've been great- more comfortable than the Chotas, about on par with the Patagonias. It's been cool to wear the felts in my friends boat, but switch to studded felt to fish the slippery Cedar (the studs bite really well) I'm not sure about durability yet, I've borrowed an older pair of Korkers before and the soles would fall out no matter what you tried (short of duct tape)-- supposedly this was remedied in the newest iteration of boots, and it seems to be as I haven't had any issues with mine. I'm interested to see how they fare over the summer and fall, though...