Beulah Onyx 7129

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by scifidelity, Apr 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. scifidelity

scifidelity Active Member

Hi All,

I recently picked up the rod in the subject line. I'm looking for line recommendations. I have a full OPST rig on another 8wt. single hand rod. I like it fine, but think the head is short for what I want. I am new to two handed rods. From what i've read, traditional spey lines are falling out of vogue in favor of shorter skagit style. I'm not too keen on Scandi, but don't know must about it. In terms of weight, should I look at 450g or 480g? Something different? I'm not interested in Rio products, the Airflo rage compact looks like a good one. 30ft. seems to be a good/ versatile head length? Thanks for your help.

Josh

2. Stuart_Stringer

Stuart_Stringer Active Member

3. scifidelity

Right, I did some of my own research ahead of time. Thanks. Unless you have experience with that particular line, I'll pass on a line made by a rod company. You'll notice the 450g rage I asked about is the same weight as one they recommend

4. Stuart_Stringer

Dude you literally asked for something different. I pointed you in the direction of something other than a Rio line. No need to be rude. Beulah makes lines to perfectly match their rods. I do in fact have experience with both their scandi and skagit lines (on their 5wt Platinum spey) and they are good lines that match their rods well. Beulah recommends a 475gr skagit (their Tonic line, the Elixir is their scandi line). Tom Larimer (the guy how helped develop the rage line) recommends going 30 grains lighter than your skagit line. Therefore you could start by trying a 450gr rage. But I guess you probably already know that from your research. Ultimately it matters what YOU like, not what a bunch of internet yahoos like. Plenty of fly shops will let you try out lines for free, some even through the mail so you don't have to waste a bunch of money buying line just to try them. The Fly Shop in Welches, OR, and Waters West in Port Angeles come to mind but I know there are others.

scifidelity and JohnB like this.
  5. scifidelity

Thank you. That was an insightful and helpful response. I was not trying to be rude. You assumed that I had done no research. Very cool that those shops let you try line! Thanks again.

6. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

1) If you are learning the two handed game, the OPST Commando system is in fact the quickest and easiest way to be fishing effectively with a two handed rod.
    2) The Rage head is mostly pointless. If you want to throw dry lines, get an Aerohead or Scandi long. If you're having troubles with either of those lines, invest in some casting lessons. If the day requires sink tips, loop on a skagit head.
    3) For sink tip work, a commando 350gr head and 132gr tips is about as user friendly of a sink tip system as exists. The Airflo Scandi Long @ 450 grains is about spot on with that rod.

stilly stalker and golfman44 like this.
  7. scifidelity

Thanks. I have a full OPST set up on a single handed 8wt rod. I'd like a true skagit, not micro setup for this, my first two handed rod. After more research, the rage isn't the right line for me. I'll likely get a Skagit Compact G2. I spoke with Deschutes Angler at length. Wow, so much experience and expertise. there. Darthmonkey is spot on with their recommendation for the Scandi, but they recommended that wt. for the Scandi long. For Skagit, I was surprised to hear her recommend nothing less than 510g for my rod, even the 550g would be perfect. Everywhere else I read that for my rod, a typical ~24 ft skagit head should be 450-480g for mr rod. Her rationale made good logical sense to me. The people testing the lines are very effective at loading the rod with the swing (fast and fluid), thus the line doesn't need to be as heavy and they can cast more hours with a lighter line. For a beginner, like me, the extra line weight helps since I'll be swinging slower as I don't have the muscle memory with the casts yet. I'll probably end up splitting the difference and trying a 510g. in the Skagit Compact.

Also, if you every want to be made to feel stupid, call West Waters. I didn't even get to ask about testing out heads. Also, The Fly Shop in Welches definitely does not let one try heads. The guy basically laughed at me.

8. Stuart_Stringer

Sorry you had bad experineces talking to Waters West and The Fly Shop... I have only found them to be helpful and friendly. I have tried lines out from both places without any problems. I wasn't sending you to go make a fool of yourself. Either way hopefully you can get a line on that rod that works well for you.

9. scifidelity

I know you weren't. Not your fault. I don't always know the right Qs to ask or say the right things being a newbie.

Stuart_Stringer likes this.
  10. Stuart_Stringer

I also have spent waaaaay more than I care to admit at both of those shops... so maybe that had something to do with it.

11. Joe H

Joe H Member

Sci,

Since you are not interested in Rio products I would venture to guess that it's either A: Because they are made of PVC, or B: Grain weights are hardly ever as labeled?
    If not going Airflo, or some other less than mainstream polyurethane line manufacturer, you will have a difficult time finding something acceptable...as most lines not Airflo are manufactured by Rio, SA or Cortland, and are of the PVC variety.

Nextcast Steelhead Finder 45 in 490 gr or Zone in similar weight would be my choice. They are however made by Rio (as are OPST).
    You could always contact S.G. for a custom line that would more than likely be spot on for your 7129.

Good luck in your search.

12. scifidelity

Thanks, RIO products have failed me and done so very quickly in the past. It's too much money to not have them last. RIO products work fine until they fail. IE. the design/ weighting is fine, they just decay quickly. I'm only looking at Airflo for now. It's great to know that RIO makes those other products, thanks for the intel. However, it doesn't necessarily mean they are all the same quality. For example, Swatch group makes $35 plastic watches under the Swatch name, but also Omega, $2k high quality watches. Does one impact the quality of the other? Maybe, but it's not black and white.

13. DH Drifter

DH Drifter Member

That rod plays great with the 510 FIST or the Skagit Switch (20ft). 480-510 is a great Skagit weight. This rod will do well with the Aero Head, and the Rage...I think the Rage is a solid line and think the 480 would be my choice.

The rod is sweet and has become a favorite.

14. scifidelity

Thanks! I just picked up a 510 Skagit Compact G2. It makes sense that the Rage would be better in a 480. The FIST is next on my list to buy, but want to make sure 510 works for me on that rod. before I buy more in that weight.

Great to hear you like the rod. I can't wait to get it on the water. The last couple of weeks and weekends have been nutty.

15. MaeWest

MaeWest New Member

Commando 400 plus 132 tips; Rage 450 work great on that rod. Beulah lines are terrific, by the way.