Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

beulah rods

Spey 
5K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  k2flyfisher 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on Beulah spey rods? I am interested in their 8/9 weight 13'6" rod as a winter rod w/ a skagit line. This will be my second rod and I am overwhelmed by the prices of the top of the line models.

#2 ·
I've cast a bunch and like them a lot. THey are reviewed well by most accomplished spey casters I know.
You should also consider one of their elixer lines. I don't know what makes them special, but they cast extremely well. Someone with more technical info will have to give the lowdown.

#3 ·
Go for it.....if you need some info about the rods before you buy, give them a call and talk to Bruce. He is awesome dude on the phone, very very helpful. I called them today to talk about lining my new 6/7 switch I just got from them (I ended up getting an Elixer for spey, and will use an outbound for the salt) and we ended up bs'ing about fishing for over a half hour. I think I am going to build one of their 7/8 or 8/9 speys too. I have heard nothing but the best reviews about Beulah.

#4 ·
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the Buelah rods.I had a cnance to cast the 12'6" 7/8wt. for an evening and got to fish the 10'6' 8/9wt. switch rod for a weekend.Both were amtched up with an Elixir line.Both rods were very to cast and fight fish on.

#6 ·
Why not try a TFO Deer Creek or ECHO Dec Hogan in the same length/line area?

Ron at All About the Fly (a site sponor) in Monroe carries the TFO Deer Creeks (they run around $340.00). Heck, you could even get to cast one at Howard Miller on the Sky on Sundays when Ron has Mike Kinney (who helped design the Deer Creek series TFOs) there helping folks learn or improve their spey casting.

You also might want to check out the Cortland 2-handers (sell for about $200.00). Aaron has them and all you have to do to try one is go to his get together at the mouth of the Tolt River on Saturday mornings.

#7 ·
Canyon – I am thinking along the same lines – the 13’6” Beulah. Here’s some information I’ve gathered but like you I’d be happy to hear from the more experienced.

I have a homebuilt Forecast 12’6” that matches up well with a 550 grain Rio Skagit line and 8 wt Rio sink tips. From what I’ve put together from this site and the SpeyPages, sounds like this line set-up will work nicely with the Beulah.

Santa also brought one of the 7/8 435 grain Exilir lines for my other homebuilt 11’6” Forecast. I am not an accomplished two handed caster but it is easier to cast than the 6/7/8 Rio Windcutter I had been using and doesn’t have all those loop to loop connections. I have also read that the Skagit lines are better with heavier sink tips than the Elixirs but again I’m no expert.

And let me second that Bruce at Beulah is a good guy to talk to. Keep us, or at least me, posted. Thanks.
-- Larry

#8 ·
I think Beulahs are the cats backside. I recently got a custom built 8/9 wt 13'6" spey originally as a backup, but this one's moving to the front row! I have it matched with both 550 and 650 Skagit lines and I think the 550 is the better way to go. I'm definitely still a newbie at spey casting, but this rod is sweet. I have it on authority that the design is from Bob Meiser with a slightly faster action than his MKS series. I have it set up with a size 5 Harris solitude reel and the balance is right on. I am jazzed about putting my time in with this set-up. :)

#10 ·
I recently got a custom built 8/9 wt 13'6" spey originally as a backup, but this one's moving to the front row!
I think you sniped me for that rod on ebay!!! I remember your login name after i lost...i was soooo disapointed. Good on ya though :thumb: That is a beauty of a rod. I love the color of the blank and wraps. When I was talking to Bruce the other day, I mentioned it and he said he built that rod himself, so I am sure it is very nice. That rod inspired me to build my own and I think AATF has some of those blanks from that run there. Is it actually grey or more blue/grey color?

Anyway, good to here that rod casts well, now you have to break it in with some chrome. :)

#9 ·
I personally have the 7/8 spey and cant say enough about it. I have spent quite some time with bruce berry and he is the MAN! I haved liked everything that I have cast from the 4/5 switch to the 8/9 spey and all in between including single handers. I must say though that I like the 7/8 more than the 8/9. beulah will probably be at the bellevue show and their rods should be on show sale for a reduced price. Oh yeah, don't buy the TFO, Beulah is the only company you need. It would be hard for me to buy anything but a beulah from now on.

#16 ·
Thanks Bert and Mike for your input. I will be using this rod towards the end of summer during low water levels for both SRC and steelhead.Last year during this time I used a 9ft.6wt. but would like the added length and the ability to use two handed casts.

I have a Hardy St. Aidan or a Redington RS2 9/10 that I thought might work or then again a good excuse to by a new reel. By the way I live on the Siletz river.

#17 ·
I have a Hardy St. Aidan or a Redington RS2 9/10 that I thought might work ...
Either will do just fine so long as you don't try to spool some really (and unnecessarily) huge line on it. If you want an excuse to buy a new reel, go for it. I use a RS2 9/10 on mine.

#18 ·
Just a heads up Beulah has some skagit lines that will be out soon. They also have a new 14ft 9wt that will be out as well.

I really like my 7/8 12'7" with the elixer line, Great light weigt scandi rod. Im going to pick up the 14 footer when it comes out as well. For the price its hard to beat a Beulah.

As for the reel on the 5/6 I have a lamson lightspeed 2 on mine which balances perfect.

#21 ·
I had James Mello build one for me. It is just plain great. I absolutely love it. it is the 13-6 8/9. James builds a hell of a rod too. I have it matched with a a windcutter 9/10/11 650 grains. For photo.'s look in my photo gallery.

Go Red Sox,
cds

#23 ·
I have a 13-6 8/9 and I tried a Skagit 650 head and found it severely overloaded. I went to an Airflo compact Skagit 570 grain head and it cases like a dream. I'm by no means an expert and I am consistently in the 80 to 100 range (when need be). I have also been playing with a windcutter 8/9/10 at 585 grains and it seems to also work very well, especially closer in. I am curious if you don't think that 650 grains feels a bit heavy and/or overloaded as that is a combination I have not tried. I know is sure felt difficult to chuck with the Skagit head on that rod. Thanks.

#22 ·
I fished the 7/8 quite a bit last summer with an Elixer line. It was a great rod and I was casting bombs with minimal work. We also put a Airflo Skagit compact on it and was able to cast larger flies with it as well. I spoke to the owner of Beluah last Fall at the Tou Velle Clave and he almost sold me one. I think you will find a lot of enjoyment casting this rod.

#24 ·
Mr. Wippet,

I have no idea if it feels heavy. It is the only line I have ever used on the rod, or any "thunderstick" sized rod. Straight up, I am not an experienced enough spey caster to make a comment on the matter:(. I have never been to a clave/ sunday on the river type event to feel a bunch of different rods and lines. In my entire life I have cast 4 rods.
I look forward to you PM'ing me so that I can try your rod /real combo.'s as you divulge your finest spots on the local S river.:p Good luck out there.

Go Red Sox,
cds

#27 ·
I talked to bruce berry yesterday and he said their new skagit line called Tonic will be available in about 60 days. 24 -27 foot heads for the spey and they are also making Tonic lines for all of the switch rods as well. Bruce had a good story about casting intruders to the far bank with the 5/6 switch! My next one is gonna be the 6/7 switch.
jed

#30 ·
all them beulahs are good sticks, but the 7/8 in particular is a gem for summer (and winter) steelheading. like Mike mentioned, we loaded the compact skagit 450 with 12 ft of T-11, a conehead leech and a prince nymph, and the 7/8 had no issues throwing it all day. if you can wait for their new line to come out, chances are they'll give a pretty good starting point for what to throw with that 8/9 youre interested in.

the new line is going to be called the "tonic" and is still in the prototype stages, but the idea is to make a line that will chuck meat but have the grains focused more towards the rear half, making casting feel more effortless. so more like a 40oz PBR instead of a fosters tall boy (rio skagit). one of the many things that beulah does well is dial in their rods with their lines- I think theres going to be an advent of easier casting skagit-type lines from a couple different manufacturers. aesthetically, theres not much else that looks as good as they do within that price point- very burkheimer-esque. so all in all, for performance, affordability, quality of components and good looks, we'll be seeing a lot more of these types of sticks (both beulah and echo) in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.