Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beulah vrs TFO

Spey 
1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  flybill 
#1 ·
Beulah SP 127 7/8 -4 the spec's call for a Skagit line from 400-450 grain, and the TFO tf 7/8 130 4 dc the spec's call for a Skagit line from 500-550 with tips to 200 grains, if i'm reading this right then the Beulah is a lighter rod than the TFO even if the rating for both is 7/8, my understanding is that the Beulah is a fast action and the TFO is a med action. Are any of my assumptions correct?

#2 ·
I would not call the Beulah a lighter rod just one that has it's optimum performance window in lighter grain weight. You will find that all manufacturers rods of the 7/8 class will have a different optimum performance windows (sweet spot) but that they are still 7/8 rods. Rod action will effect the optimum performance window just as length of the rod will also to some degree. Spey rods in general have wider grain tolerances than that of single handed rods due to the way they are used in generating the cast. I have had people describe the Beulah action as more along the lines of the Scandinavian rod and the TFO more to the traditional. Generally speaking a Scandi action rod is faster, uses a lighter line with a more dynamic casting style where as the traditional action lends itself to the heavier heads as the cast develops more slowly and the once the added weight is moving it adds power to the cast.

#3 ·
beulahs recover faster, they are not stiffer. This applies to the classic, if you get the platinum, its a full flex skagit rod.

#5 ·
Thanks for all your replys. When there is time, i plan on getting down to On the Fly on Saturdays to see and feel different rods. Also get some instruction on spey casting, all i have done the last twenty years is centerpin.
Thanks for the help, i will be asking other newbe questions i'm sure.

#6 ·
I own both of these rods and they are two of my favorites! The rods are just different and have different grain windows. I've almost come to the point where I ignore the line weighting, other than using it as a starting point when I try out a new rod. Spey rod rating and spey line rating are not always consistent from company to company.

For these two rods, the Airflo Compact Skagits rock! For the Buelah I use the 480gr line and the Deer Creek I use the 570gr line. The DC will also cast the 540gr line well, but on this rod I like the heavier line.

I also use a Guideline Powertaper line, cut back to 35' I think and it rocks on the Buelah. The Guideline DDC Full sinking intermediate line is awesome on the Deer Creek as well.

Anyway, hope that helps! Come down to the Day on the River on Saturday in Fall City or Sundays up at Ben Howard or Lake Tye if the Skykomish is above 6000cfs.

Bil

#11 ·
They are a bit heavier, but the 13' is one of the lighter sticks in the DC series and balances well with the right reel. I have fished this rod for days on end and since it came out, since I had preordered it when the DC's were coming out.

That TFO 13' DC is a sweeeeet stick. I would highly recommend it over the beulah if you're just getting into this.
Both are awesome, but they are different rods. If you were to have one spey rod I might recommend the DC over the Buelah. The DC is a bit cheaper price wise, but both are close I believe.

beulah has the best warranty, if it breaks, send it back, done. I like dealing with the guys there, simple company, James and Bruce are excellent guys, and i love their rods. I have 2 soon to be 3. So if you reliability fish a beulah.
Warranty's are warranty's imho! I don't buy a rod based on the warranty, I buy based on my need and the action of the rod and where and what I want to fish for. I haven't had to use the Buelah warranty, and hope I never do, but have had fantastic experiences with the two TFO repairs that I have sent in. Don't know James, but know Bruce Berry and Dick Sagara (TFO) well and would recommend both companies highly!

Bill

#9 ·
beulah has the best warranty, if it breaks, send it back, done. I like dealing with the guys there, simple company, James and Bruce are excellent guys, and i love their rods. I have 2 soon to be 3. So if you reliability fish a beulah.

#10 ·
Ive had simular success with TFO warranty dept. Purchased a DeerCreek used from mumbles, busted it, sent it back. 25 bucks and a week later I was ready to swing again. Never will I argue with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.