Beware the Sultan Tweeker car thieves!

A friend of mine went to his car one morning and saw a pair of legs sticking out the driver side; the guy was under the dash trying to remove his stereo. My friend was (is) the wrong guy to try to rob; he pulled the guy out by his feet, and although he was unconscious from his head hitting the driveway when he was pulled out, he still ended up with fewer teeth and a few cracked ribs. The police were told he put up a fight when confronted, and they didn't seem to worry much about the perp. Not the way I'd do things, but again, my buddy is not the guy you want to cross in that manner. Poor impulse control.
I would call that good judgment. But that is just me.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
There's just something about a good beating that convinces a dirtbag to regret his errant ways. At least it convinced a doper who had sideswiped my cherry Chevy & my elderly neighbor's car back in the day to pay for both repair bills. The local small-town Montana police advised him to be more careful when he was walking around after he complained about his first "accident," lol.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Caught two little fuckers trying to steal my truck years ago down in Sacramento. Introduced them both to Mr. 12ga. One cracked his head wide open on the underside of the dash, while the other one got the buttstock in his face. When you rush, that's when accidents happen!

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Now the rest of the story . . . after our first (and the only required) counseling session during which I informed the miscreant that I intended to extract $50-worth of ass-kicking per session until both repair bills were paid in-full, he promptly satisfied his financial obligations. To be fair, when he paid me I gave $50 back; then we went to St. Pete's church together (Being a compassionate type, I kept a firm grip on his wrist so he wouldn't fall down again.). He seemed to think that putting that $50 in the donation box to help the less fortunate was a wonderful idea at the time. Dear Annie from next door kept me supplied in cookies & treats until I moved away. Life was good.

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
My truck stereo break-in story isn't as cool as some others, but what the heck - i'll post something on the humiliating episode. Some years ago, some jackwagon stole my stereo, a bunch of my stuff (one of my wetsuits, surf leash, sweashirt, etc) and a ton of CDs out of my tacoma. To add insult to injury, they used the toolbox I'd left behind the seat to assist them in their efforts.

I know what you're thinking: "Dude, that is just unfortunate, but not humiliating. What gives?"

The humiliating part? I happened to have a (sigh) NEIL DIAMOND'S GREATEST HITS CD in the CD player when they stole it. There is an explanation for why i had the CD, but I won't bother to offer it up at this point. The guy or guys who stole my stuff stripped the inside of my rig clean of pretty much everything of even remote value, but they pulled out the Neil Diamond CD from the player and left it and the CD cover right on my front seat.

Ouch. Wasn't enough they stole my stuff - did they have to try to shame me on my music choice too? And when did I discover the break-in, you ask? September morn.

Get some mono-filament and brand new treble hooks. Anchor them just out of sight in a place were the pussheads would reach to get something, i.e. under the dash behind your stereo, or around the inside door handle where they would reach in to unlock the door, etc... When you come back you will either have them sitting there trying to get the hooks out of the back of their hand, or at the very least you would have a DNA sample and a small feeling of vengeance. Just to be clear this is NOT barbless hook only!
This would be a good idea, but in our society we give more rights to the criminal than the victim. If you did this, you'd end up in jail, and the thief would probably sue and win.
When I lived in Spokane, a co-worker had problems with thieves stealing his cd player out of his truck at night. He knew who it was, but the police wouldn't act. So he set up some booby traps. Razor blades stuck into the mounting hardware did the trick. When the thief attempted to yank the stereo out, he lost his fingertips. Long story short: the thief walked, and my friend did fifteen days in jail for booby trapping his own vehicle.

scottybs

Car break ins suck. Anybody that as it done will attest to that. Even with insurance you never get back all that was taken. I had many flies I tied taken along with the ones that I bought. Only the bought ones were reimbursed and it wasn't top dollar either.

Here in Montana people feel pretty safe, or just stupid. I saw a car on the upper Ruby with the windows open and nobody around it. The river was over a bank about 100 feet down to it.. I don't lock my truck up either. It's got all my gear in it. I feel pretty safe as all the thieves are gone. They all moved to Washington State.

OMJ,

I was fishing a well known Western Montana stream the a couple weeks ago and next to me in the back of a pickup where some very pricey rods in the back. Couldn't believe it, I wouldn't leave my Winston's in the back like that. On a second note, may have to start disconnecting battery terminals or something.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I've said this before. I've seen people here when they go shopping that they get out of their vehicle and leave the engine running and go shop. Their vehicle's are still there when they get done.

You do this in Washington and when you are out of site of your vehicle it will be gone. You always see fly rods in vehicle's with the windows rolled down and nobody around. I believe that if you lifted something out of a vehicle here and you get caught, you will probably disappear for good. Lots of old mine shafts up in the hills.

Salmo_g

This would be a good idea, but in our society we give more rights to the criminal than the victim. If you did this, you'd end up in jail, and the thief would probably sue and win.
When I lived in Spokane, a co-worker had problems with thieves stealing his cd player out of his truck at night. He knew who it was, but the police wouldn't act. So he set up some booby traps. Razor blades stuck into the mounting hardware did the trick. When the thief attempted to yank the stereo out, he lost his fingertips. Long story short: the thief walked, and my friend did fifteen days in jail for booby trapping his own vehicle.
That's an absolute miscarriage of justice! If it weren't so far away, your co-worker could have whacked the tweaker and borrowed my friend's backhoe and buried the tweaker in one of Mason County's myriad swamps and wetlands. Now I ain't saying it's totally legal to do that; I'm just saying that nobody looks for bodies in Mason County swamps. It's important to protect our swamps and wetlands. You never know when they'll come in handy.

KB2

What are you talking about officer? I am out on a fishing trip and in order to keep my extra hooks from being stolen I hide them under the dash behind my stereo, tied to the fire wall with 30 lb test.

David Loy

Senior Moment
It used to be like that in Seattle too Jim. In the early 70s I'd park my car under the viaduct to go home (via ferry) for the weekend, usually unlocked and often windows down. I had a decent stereo with many tapes and no one ever bothered it. I was lucky probably, but times have changed.