Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bicycle inner tube body/tail/fins query.

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Eyejuggler 
#1 ·
I am looking to tie some bass flies and it occurred to me that some 700c tubes cut into strips might make some cool body/tail/fin parts. Has anyone used this or is there a material I should be scrounging that would do a better job.
It does have a bit of an aroma too it, not sure if that's going to be an issue or if it will fade away over time.
I'll post a pic if it is successful. :)

#8 ·
There we go! I knew I had seen it somewhere. his material looks thinner and consequently easier to use. Mine, after tying just a body is hella cumbersome. but time will tell.
Just used it on the body, which of course is not visible.
Pretty dense and hard to manipulate, I will keep playing.

Really tough to keep down.

#11 ·
Take two inch long pieces of lead substitute wire and tie them to the hook shank to widen the body. then your strip of rubber should be cut not much wider than twice the width of the desired segmentation, cut the part you are tying in at an angle to reduce the bulk. Before wrapping add a couple drops of super glue so the wraps stay in place. and don't forget to tie in you tails before starting. Once you're done with the body you can cut out little pieces and tie them in on the back to give it that unmistakable stonefly nymph look. you could probably add some iridescent nail polish then clear coat them, or use dubbing wax to stick some fibers to the backside of the rubber before you start wrapping. Just start experimenting and bring some of that inner tube for me next time we fish so I can try it.

#14 ·
If you're after a very thin rubber material, try latex gloves. One of the patterns I featured in my fly tying column used strips cut from a light colored latex glove for the body. If you wish to color the body, waterproof markers are the ticket. Otherwise, if you're using a bike tube, you're kind'a stuck with black.

(I've been experimenting with the suede tails for LMB baitfish patterns... the bluegill sure like pecking at them.)

#16 ·
Nice tips guys, Thanks!
I did not even consider rubberbands, a little magic marker and they are any color you want. Rubber bands do seem to rot pretty fast but perhaps they will get trashed by fish faster than decay.
Just another aspect to the process that makes it so darn interesting.
Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.