Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

big ahi on light tackle

Tags
big on tackle
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SilverFly 
#1 ·

Aloha went offshore yesterday and got this 78lb ahi on light tackle. I wanted to try Guy's, Silverfly's new tie he sent me. It was too rough and crowded to fly fish. We put out some chunk after getting a small ahi and aku on a popper. Then this nice ahi take 1/2 of my spool straight down.

We took it over to Tokunaga's to get an official weight. I got it on the Shimano trevella rod and torium reel I am holding. It was on 50lb braid and 60lb fluro leader with a gammy 4X octopus hook. The battle took 45 minutes. It is my largest ahi landed on light tackle. Great fight, popeye forearms and a numb thumb from putting pressure on the spool.

Lots of fresh sashimi. Big ahi are tough on conventional gear. Hope your spring fishing is heating up. Mems.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Weve got bluefin that big or bigger in 3/4 day range right now here............Sardine or anchovy flies and some poppers...... KA-BOOOOOOOM!
Looks like we might be in for another El Nino this summer. If so, hoping a few of those SoCal bluefin you guys have been holding hostage decide to vacation up here in August/Sept.

Not sure I can handle another season reading about, and watching vids of epic surface action down there. Guess I'll do my best to ignore.

NOT LISTENING!!! ;)

Forehead Nose Chin Mouth Jaw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.