Big DEAD Native on a stringer - Upper Hoh???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Marty Leith, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

No one had been named yet.......not even a suggestion of a name. If you consider a "blue raft" as a description that is going to hinder business then I would say that line of thinking.....doesn't hold water..:)

2. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

I dont get why everyone is flipping out about a guide killing a wild fish. There are DOZENS of guides on the lower river that kill wild fish for every client that doesnt have there 1 wild fish a year punched out. The only thing that would piss me off about this particular situation is if the fish was killed in the upper river.

3. JS

JS Active Member

Agreed, speculation. I also never said anything regarding a name. However, fact is not slander, and if I see it happen I will be telling whomever I please. I believe its wrong to kill wild steelhead, and if its legal for someone to harvest one, its legal for me to let people know my opinion on how moral I believe it is. I saw an article in a magazine this winter that featured an amazingly large wild fish from the Hoh, harvested, and it made me sick to my stomach. I dont buy that magazine anymore, and outside of this forum, I tell everyone that will hear me not to as well. I feel the same way about a guide that allows a client for harvest a wild fish. I may not oust them on the internet, but you better believe that they wont get my business, and I will let anyone who will listen know that they allowed it. I have and still do on occasion guide, I know its a livelyhood, but you have to know when your screwing yourself.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I Agree.

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Nate I agree nothing has got out of line yet, but I just want folks to use common sense and protect themselves and also be sensitive enough not to cause someone else harm without using the facts.

Keith

6. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Next time I see some bastard that looks like a guide on the Hoe in a blue raft I'm just gonna start shoot'n... Not jump'n to conclusions , just say'n...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

In my experience, ire gets far more results than apathy, and it's a lot more fun.

8. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Damn as long as it aint the fat man in the blue raft I'm all for it,,,,,:):)

I know who it is and the guy's CRAZY and I don't need my shit F'd with, he guides very little,,,,, understandably so,,,,but if someone else was to drop the name RETODD from the sight you might all find out who,,,,thats YOUR que brother!!!

9. martyg

martyg Active Member

Hey Jarad -

I think that I saw the same article and I questioned it, until I read the article. Now I don't know the dude wrote wrote it, but I see him enough in 'zines to guess that he has a clue. He truly seemed to take the clubbing of this fish as a serious act - and as per the article he only clubbed because it was breeding out from a gill. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I would have done the same, and have done the same in the past. Is it better to let the fish linger while it dies and let its body to back into he ecosystem? Maybe. It certainly would not go to "waste" as it would feed that environment from the ground up, so to speak.

If we truly claim to care so much about the fish I would challenge people not to fish for wild stock. I have hung it up until Springers & hatchery Steelhead show up. As I explained to a guide friend of mine earlier today, I have moral issues with wounding and stressing a creature for my amusement. I'd rather go ride my bike, paddle, ski or do a hundred other things that our backyard provides.

Now least you peg me as a PETA do gooder blahblahblah, let me saw that what we catch, we kill. What we kill, we eat, and we eat what we harvest probably five to six days per week, be it venison, bear, elk, fish, shellfish, birds, or from our own garden.

We are certainly all entitled to our opinion, but if we are going to take the high road, that road is to not fish for stocks that cannot take the pressure of sustainable harvest (IMO).

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    One wild fish harvested by an angler is a tragedy.... thousands being killed by a gill net is just a statistic..

11. JS

JS Active Member

Marty,
    I'm not trying to start an argument about morality, at least not over the Internet, I'm mearly stating my opinion. Now, as for bleeding fish; I was fishing the Skeena system in the fall of 08' and the first fish that I landed was a bright little 6lb hen. After a few displays of acrobatics, and one small run, I landed the fish. To my suprise, this hen litterally had almost no lower jaw whatsoever. Healthy as can be, but at one time seemingly mortally wounded. I have personally caught over 5 fish that I specifically remember, that had mutilated gill plates and gills (one actually had an entire gill plate missing). I believe that a fish of that size and strength could survive some pretty extensive damage. If there was even a chance that a wild fish would survive to pass on it's genes to the next generation, then yes, I would do my damnedest to get that fish to kick vigoriosly out of my hand.

12. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

YOU NAILED IT!

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I'm just as against killing wild fish as anyone. But many forget this same river has gill nets killing these wild fish more days during the run than they are not. We as catch and release anglers aren't even allowed to lift a fish out of the water for a moment for a quick pic then release, but just downstream, these fish are being pulled out by the hundreds daily.

14. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

No worrys Braz, as I've scoped your web page, and know what you look like !! May be contacting you for a day or two next year for winter steel swing'n-
    Was just funn'n with the thread- and if i get over there, there will be two fat men in your raft !!:thumb:

15. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Man I never thought of scent on my fly. Killer idea, beats packing out those stinky sand shrimp . Man I am sure glad guys like him are out there to teach us something new. STOP the nets and everything will be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.