Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Big Island with AA

Tags
big island with
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  veilside180sx 
#1 ·

Took AA out in Hilo for an afternoon of chasing fish in Liliuokalani Gardens pond. Aaron got a new Sage one and it cast some nice tight loops. Too bad the trevally and bonefish did not cooperate. His wife Meghan had fun with a spin rod and got a bunch of puffers.

The first couple were interesting especially when they puffed up. But she was over them after a half dozen. She got one tuao and a brief encounter with a barracuda. Too bad I didn't have wire for that one. They are a nice couple enjoying their 18th anniversary on the Big Island. It was fun spending the afternoon with them. Mems.

See less See more
#3 ·
It depends on the ponds. Some, like the one at the Marriot in Waikaloa are kapu.(Keep Out) That is a shame, because it has awa, milkfish that will actually feed. I wish they were all catch and release in hawaii. It would be a great way to take the kids out and teach them how to fish and be responsible sportsmen and women. One dream I have is to make 9 holes of fishing each with its own species like GT's, bonefish, etc. You could use a different rod on each hole. Maybe one day. Mems.

#4 ·
We had a great time! And for those new to puffer fish like we were...here's what they look like when Mems grabs 'em by the tail and shakes them...
Plant Water Tree Hat Cap

They are actually soft to the touch. I had a few shots at cruising bones and trevally. Once one bone and 5 or 6 trevally were cruising by and I made quick cast in the right spot, started stripping and got the whole group to turn toward me and chase the fly, but they spooked and took off. Cool to see though. And that Konnetic technology has amazing tracking as advertised, as I consistently hit a statue behind me and destroyed a few of Mems flies! We ate poke and a couple fruits (forget the names) for the first time. Good times all around. Thanks Mems!

#5 ·
We had a great time! And for those new to puffer fish like we were...here's what they look like when Mems grabs 'em by the tail and shakes them...
View attachment 141629
They are actually soft to the touch. I had a few shots at cruising bones and trevally. Once one bone and 5 or 6 trevally were cruising by and I made quick cast in the right spot, started stripping and got the whole group to turn toward me and chase the fly, but they spooked and took off. Cool to see though. And that Konnetic technology has amazing tracking as advertised, as I consistently hit a statue behind me and destroyed a few of Mems flies! We ate poke and a couple fruits (forget the names) for the first time. Good times all around. Thanks Mems!
Mems knows this, but puffers will hit a fly at certain times if they're hungry and aggressive. They'll look at it, sniff it and sometimes eat it. I've had some very strong saltwater hooks snapped in half like a toothpick by puffers, their jaws are ridiculously strong for such a goofy looking creature. A good friend's father in law tried to 'rescue' one from a tidepool at low tide in Kona a couple years ago. He carried it like a baby to deeper water but he wasn't paying attention to it's yapper. It bit his thumb clean off.

Good stuff, glad you and your wife had fun with The Mems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.