Big Steelhead Redux - Done Right This Time

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Decker, Apr 8, 2009.

1. FLGator

FLGator Member

AWESOME!

2. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

catching 20 fish in a day is unethical considering the amount of pressure those systems get. The fact that a guide would let a client hook that many fish is despicable

3. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    Will, re-read what was written, another 20lbs fish was caught that day, not another 20 steelhead, i can understand from the way it was written your confusion, way to jump to conclusions anyway though :thumb:

4. to Will Atlas..were you serious about that post: "catching 20 fish in a day is unethical considering the amount of pressure those systems get. The fact that a guide would let a client hook that many fish is despicable"...? Either you're trolling and have me sniffing at the bait or we are going to have an interesting discussion start to progress through this thread.

5. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

I don't know about anybody else on this board but for the number of hours I put in, the miles I have driven, the hours I worked to afford the gear I fish with..As long as I am debarbed and releasing each one I"LL HOOK 50!!! if they are biting!! YOU DONE LOST YOUR MIND!!! Unethical! I never thought the day would come where someone would say that hooking too many fish in unethical! While I am hooking fish you and that guide can leave me there to get tennis elbow cause I am going to keep casting as long as they keep biting! I'll call someone to come get me..I can send smoke signals!

WE NEED A HATERADE EMOTICON!! GEEZ-a-ME-X-MAS!!! I'm sorry I never rant and rarely do I get involved but come on fellas! Read and think before you type! Better yet some of you just need to read!

Nice fish by the way..I wish she had pics posted of everyone she hooked!!

6. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Woodfan, I'm not sure I follow where you're going with that. Montana, think of it this way. Steelhead are listed in all but 2 of the Evolutionarily Significant Units in the state of Washington, and the Chehalis system the largest river in the SWW ESU was closed early this year because of poor returns. Runs have continued to decline on the olympic peninsula and it is the last part of our state where the angling community considers the populations to be "healthy". Consequently there is tons of pressure, including from guides from the eastside and montana who employ their trout fishing tactics in pursuing steelhead. These vertical presentations are extremely effective and easy for clients to learn and as a consequence they catch ALOT of fish.

Obviously I misread the post but if a single boat hooks 20 fish in a day they may be impacting almost a full percentage point of the run in a given year. Catch and release does cause mortality and even if the fish survive there are sublethal effects which may negatively impact their spawning success. As anglers I believe we have an ethical obligation to work to minimize our impacts on these wild fish and a mentality which focuses on racking up big numbers is unethical in my opinion. Sure, go catch 50 non-native trout any time you want, keep your limit too if you feel so inclinded. But with these fantastic wild fish we owe it to them to use discretion in the number of fish we catch.

Will

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    Will, i love your enthusiasm, but making rash generalizations about others is not going to help protect the resource. If you haven't noticed, the "spey-pole-swinging-fish-protectors" are not accomplishing much alone, might think about working outside your comfort zone. If we as a group can't get over the technique that the other guy is fishing, the fish are going to be gone before it's too late.

8. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

fantastic fish. thanks for sharing

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Cheers to that...

Will, if you're really that concerned about someone hooking 20 fish over whatever arbitrary number constitutes ethical, you should probably stop fishing for them yourself to help cancel out this "unethical" behavior. Personally, I find holding a roosterfish up by the gills for a hero shot in a misspelled town in Mexico unethical, but we all have our opinions. The "Steelhead Uber Alles" double-standard is fucking annoying.

[​IMG]

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6353&ppuser=3906

10. markdmc

markdmc New Member

please help a novice, does the "handling rule" allow you to remove a fish completely from the water? the way I read it, not if you intend to release it or if it is illegal to keep. please help.

11. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

You've got it right. And contrary to popular opinion by those who place wild steelhead on a pedestal above all other fish, it also applies to hatchery steelhead, dolly varden/bull trout, and salmon.

SALMON and TROUT HANDLING RULES
    FRESHWATER: “It is unlawful to totally remove salmon, steelhead, or Dolly Varden/Bull trout from the water if it is
    unlawful to retain those fish, or if the angler subsequently releases the salmon, steelhead, Dolly Varden, or bull trout.”
    MARINE AREAS 5 through 13: “It is unlawful to bring wild salmon or a species of salmon aboard a vessel if it is
    unlawful to retain that salmon” (“aboard” means inside the gunwale of a vessel).
    MARINE AREA 2-2: “It is unlawful to totally remove salmon from the water if it is illegal to retain those fish, except
    anglers fishing from boats 30 feet or longer as listed on either their state or Coast Guard registration are exempt.”

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Look at that! Great fish, great handling technique. Congrats to your wife. I'm sure that anyone would understand getting cut off in a phone conversation over that fish.

13. markdmc

markdmc New Member

So, it appears to me that a portion of that fish is still in the water. A small portion, but that would be legal correct?

14. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    yes, that is a legal picture. Technically you could hold a fish up by the gill plate, with just the tail touching the water, and it would be legal.

15. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Alpine, that fish was kept so I'm not sure where the fish handling comes into play. Joe, I agree that different factions need to come together to protect the resource. My point was only that there is a point where wracking up big numbers is irresponsible and detrimental to the resource.

Joe, I don't think anglers who fish with spey rods are any more inclined to be fish advocates or be conservationists. Some of the finest wild fish advocates I know fish with jigs, spoons and yarn.

Will