Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Big Twin this weekend? Looking for reports

818 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tippet 
#1 ·
Has anyone fished Big Twin (outside of Winthrop) lately?

I am thinking of going there this weekend and would appreciate any recent (2005) reports. Thanks!

#3 ·
The fishing has been totally unreal!!! Fish averaging 4 pounds and constant hook ups wth any fly that gets near the water!!!

Too bad there are no rooms in the Inn.

Go to North Bend and rent a room, specify by the day instead of the hourly rate!!!

Head north and go fish some unpressured waters. See you up there.

Dave

#4 ·
Two friends and I fished Big Twin for a morning after fishing Moccasin Lake the day before. It was our first time to the lake and it took us about an hour and a half to figure out how the lake was structured. We found the trout right on the edge of the dropoffs of the large shoals and really got into them. We caught 4 - 5 fish per hour on chironomids. They were nice 18 inch fish that fought well and did alot of jumping. I wish we could have stayed longer!

#6 ·
I'll be there on June 4TH. Let you know how it goes. Spoke to one of the guides there yesterday who said they were doing well on chironomids but that Callibaetis were coming on strong and damsels should be there any day. He also said that going deep with a bugger was the way to go after about 9 or 10AM since the fish moved out fairly deep once the sun was on the water for a while.

If you go - there is a funky cone-head reddish colored woolly bugger pattern that I tried there several years ago. Nothing was working for me so for kicks, I tried all the biggest ugliest flies in my box.......you know the ones. They are the kind that you keep for no reason known to man even though you realize the chances for ever using them are slim to none. Well, you can see the story coming already but what it boiled down to was three casts, three fish. That fly has become a regular for me at that lake ever since.

#8 ·
Capmblade,

Moccasin Lake fished very well, as one would hope and expect. I caught and released around 50. Five were 22-26 inches and fat. The average fish was 18-19 inches, almost identical to the fish in Blue Lake (Sinlahekin). A couple were 14 inch browns. One guy in our group caught a 30 incher. I have fished several pay-for-play lakes, and this is one of the better ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.