Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Big winds!

NFR 
3K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  Richard Olmstead 
#1 ·
For westsiders.

I'm in Edmonds. Wind gusts of 25/50 maybe higher. Power's been out for a hour. I have big firs around the backyard and am getting a steady rain of pinecones and small/mid sized branches.

Hope it doesn't blow like this on the east side. Fire could jump miles.

#2 ·
I'm on the beach now, half an hour north of Ocean Shores. My boys and I headed onto the beach mid-morning and I would estimate sustained winds were around 50 with gusts 10 more. It was the windiest I have ever experienced. The blowing sand was hell!

#3 ·
Wind advisories have been in place for past two days with predicted gusts up to 60 and 70 mph near highway 2 and I-90!

#5 ·
Laurelhurst/Windermere here. Our fir has lost a lot of small branches, covering 50% of the alley. So far we still have power. We usually lose it by know. Heard U. Village out of power. Cable is out. Guessing the gusts are near 30, maybe more. The streets here funnel the South wind off Lk Wa right to our door.

#9 ·
Couple of highways having issues with downed trees.

6000 homes and businesses without power in Lewiston/Clarkson, ad well north Spokane (parts).

They just uped the gusts to 50-60 mph.

And the prediction of the Okanagon Complex fire, won't be out until the snow flies.

They lost progress on those fires up there. I wonder if Omak could become the next Brewster...

#23 ·
I was mistaken. Gusts here topped 50, but it's calming now.
Stonefish. I was wondering if you were out there today. Crazy.
Gran. I was on a Shilshoal round Vashon Island race in the mid 70s, that was in winds close to this. Fairly incredible. Saw maybe 6 spinnekars blow, along with at least 3 masts. These were big boat$. The trip from Shilshoal back to Bainbridge was under a reefed storm jib, with the rail buried all the way. Possibly the wildest ride of my life. And I have some harrowing sea stories. So, I can well imagine you'll never forget today.
I just hid inside today, then swept fir in the alley. Pretty exciting.

#25 ·
As a note on doping the wind, when you see those standard-sized American flags standing straight out from the poles, it's at least 20 knots.

I also just checked our forecast here, and for the rest of the weekend, and into next week, rain is forecast, but no more than a 40% chance. No notice of wind, and there's no red flag in this area! I can smell rain, but nothing's here yet.

#27 ·
Pretty crazy out here in Hansville today. Managed a couple coho early and then came home to get warm. Tried to head down to the Hansville store for lunch and we had a hell of a time... Power line down across hood canal drive forced us to take the long way around. Powers been out since around 3. Trees down all over. Its a mess.

I figure my only course of action is to get up and go fishing. I feel its my duty to catch more hatchery coho to help feed the poor, powerless people of Hansville. Just doin my part.

#34 ·
Wind is ripping here. Can't imagine what it's like on the front lines of those fires right now. I really hope all those firefighters out there tonight stay alert and safe!

#35 ·
Winds were probably gusting to 80 plus. White cap city, I get more wind where I live than most. The neighbors boat was swamped and partially sunk. Wish I had pictures but I was busy bailing out his boat. Turned the boat around and bailed it out. He always parks his boat backwards. Hopefully lesson learned! You can see my willow and my boat weathered the storm fine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.