Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bigger rainbow in the forks?

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Brookie_Hunter 
#1 ·
I was fishing the South Fork of the Sno this morning and the water is really low.....getting the usual little 5"-8" guys on para-adams and EHC. I put on a really small stimulator I tied up to see if I could weed out some of the smaller fish, as I didn't have a bigger ECH or para. I tossed it up tight to a big downed tree and the water exploded, line took off.....It didn't have a lot of room to run and it circled around in front of me and shot out toward the log again....I tried to pull it out from under the log and it wasn't having it. It came up and flopped over; I saw a huge fat side with deep red, and then its tail flopped over and was the size of my open hand easily....speckled...just huge...then it popped off. I kind of stood there wondering what the heck just happened. I move up stream eventually and caught a ton more little guys, but also got two more rainbow that just eeked over 13" in deeper pools by uprooted trees. I was surprised, as this is pretty odd for this area. I have heard others saying they have caught bigger fish recently up there too.....just wondering what has changed.....and where the heck that brute came from?

#6 ·
I don't know....between reports from others, and my own fish the last two times through there, I am convinced something is different. Every system like this will have it's big fish that manage to hide out and grow gnarly....thus seems different. I have only been up there three times this year, so I don't know....but last time up I caught one rainbow that was bigger, and one brook that was about the same. Someone else recently posted a nice brook on the forum as well. I have seen a lot more logs chained up to the bank, and more cut bank structure than usual this year...I wonder if habitat is improving and making a difference.

#10 ·
There used to be some big fish in the forks. If you go to that park on the lower end of the forks. Where the Middle and North forks come together. They have some pictures there that show the bigger fish that used to be in there. Maybe they are slowly coming back because of CnR being done.

#11 ·
everyone who starts new in the sport around here gets pointed to the snoqualmie forks. and they are very accessible, and they look fishy, and experienced anglers love them too, and they are in relatively highly populated area. point is, they get a ton of pressure. small fish are inexperienced and easier to catch. the larger fish are always there, no matter where you are. sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you have to make your luck, like jim and stew suggest.

#12 ·
I get what you guys are saying, and I totally agree. I have only been fishing them for about 10 years now, and I spent a lot of time looking at structure this year, and noticed a lot more man made efforts at habitat than I have before. I was curious if this was a new thing, or just something that my younger ignorant self didn't see, because I was too busy looking at the water than the whole picture. This is the only place I will tie on a dry fly first thing while still standing at the truck....as I generally go straight to the nymphs on virtually every other body of water.
I guess you are right in that two of my more recent nice fish up there where when casting to places that reminded me of "unexpected" spots I have found nice fish in other rivers. I guess that is what you call experience, and if so, I am thankful to have gained it through putting the time in. I have noticed I am a more patient fisherman these days too; taking more time in my approach and making my first cast truly count. I noticed that yesterday. I would find a great hole and stalk up low and slow, then watch for a few minutes, then plan my cast. A great and well planned first cast usually found the biggest take I would get out of the hole. Once a bad cast slapped down or I accidentally lined the hole, I might get a few little guys out, but that's it.

#15 ·
Well said Tinman. The quality of your approach and first cast can make a huge difference. I would also add where you choose to place the first cast also matters and it changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.