Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

BIIx 7 weight 11 foot and Line

Spey 
733 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KEM 
#1 ·
I puchased a B2x this weekend and am now looking to line it. Are there lines that will work for both overhead casting and spey style casting?

From looking up prior post's I have read about Airflo 40+, Beulah's Elixer, and some others. Are these lines multitips?

My thoughts for this rod are to use it for dryline Nymphing during the winter and for swinging flies during the summer and fall (both floating and sinktips).

As I get into the two handed world the lines seem to be the most confusing part. Any recomendations for this rod? Excited to get out and play with it.

thanks,
Josh

#2 ·
pm KEM he's got that same crappy rod that he couldn't find a line for. JK Kraig. seriously though he put the elixer 7/8 on it and that line can do it all. Put a poly tip on and throw sinking/intermed./floating what eve. for nymphing I don't put any tip on at all just throw on your leader,bobber and go. The only down fall to this line is mending. If you put out a ton of line it's hard to mend properly. Good luck.

#3 ·
Beulah Elixir 335, 385 as well as SA singlehand 360gr for tips. The Elixir doesn't really move tips, but it will move xfast sink polyleaders..."poor man's tips". The SA singlehand at 360 will move a short (<10') section of type 6 or 8.

SA sharkskin mag taper 8wt for nymphing...this stick isn't the best of winter rods, it is (in my opinion) a little noodly for winter runs. Having said that, I have handled fish up to about 10 lbs on smaller rivers with no problems at all.

#4 ·
Runejl, look at my photos and you'll see an 18lb chinook landed on the swing on my BIIx. That rod in not noodely at all and I have no idea what g smolt is even talking about. That rod is by far the best I've ever thrown. I put the Beulah Elixer 380gr. 7/8 with a superfast 10' poly and it crushes. Buy that line and it will be totally dialed in and ready to rip. Nymphing is gay for any rod, this rod deserves to be swung! If you want to go really cheap get the Beulah switch (ask LBC)...it just doesn't go.

#6 ·
Having declared the rod a little noodly, let me frame the statement as to provide a little clarification.

The BIIx is a wonderful rod to cast, and is a joy to fight larger fish on in a wide-open, slow moving river. I'm sure one could reel in quite a large salmon or steelhead in a slow pool free of debris or rapids using the 7110bIIx.

For most winter apps, I like my z-axis 8110. Much more of a 9-9.5wt rod, and has the power to put the screws to big fish NOW and get a head turned before you lose a flyline or something. The BIIx, as fun as it is, isn't capable of turning a large coastal fish that has made up it's mind and is going where you don't want it to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.