Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

BIIX 7wt 11' switch

Spey 
1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bill1227 
#1 ·
i need help lining my first switch rod. i would like to use this rod for both swinging and indy fishing small rivers. basically a line for spey casting but can still do a "ok" job throwing a indy setup. what would be a good line for for this situation. i wouldnt be throwing "huge" flies.
i have very little experience spey casting.

#4 ·
a good shorter head option, given you only have 11' to work with and may find it comfortable to throw spey casts AND nymph with, would be the scientific anglers single hand skagit at 400 grains. ive found this line at 22' to be a great match to many switch rods in the 7wt category.
for the running line, however, if you want to be able to stack mend at 35-45', you'll want either the SA dragontail (a tapered running line), which shoots like shit, or you can take an old WF8F line, cut the first 2' off and loop it to the back end of your single hand skagit. that should function as a running line that can also mend well, since youve effectively created a "rear taper" to your shooting head.

#13 ·
hi,

another mendable run line option is the SA Shark Skin in .035". It actually has a 15' taper from the tact. loop and floats high = extended mend on skagit heads. It shoots very, very well. The texture (shark skin) will require you tape up your fingers if you fish often, dry cold weather, etc. I also use the Rio .030" mono core stuff which is awesome on the hands, shoots very well yet slightly less distance than the SA .035" Sharkskin and rides,floats low, less mendable but serves other purpose. The SA Shark Skin is ideal with Skagit in runs/chutes I fish quartered up to quarter down (i refer to this as the "dribble" or "dribbleing") prior to swing out with wt'ed fast sink fly Skagit nymph like mending. This works well on knarly rivers. The low ride Rio is good for slowing down (less total belly) the standard down and accross swing. This works well in winter on classic ideal swing pools.
I agree in regards to the SA Mastery Single Hand Skagit and Mastery Skagit Deluxe tapers they are awesome.

just my .2cents experiance to date.

#5 ·
i did a lot of research through the search function on this site and a couple more and ended up going with a elixir 380gr head, airflo ridge line running line, 10' poly leaders.

i thought since i havent "felt" the "feel" of different types of lines at different grains that it would be best to go with a running line/head setup that way i dont have to spend so much money if i want to try a different setup.

#6 ·
Maybe you ought to ask Poppy to demo a couple line systems. Just a thought.

#7 ·
good choice Daniel. you'll dig that line. its not only an easy line to learn on, but you just might find youll continue fishing it as you get better. the "modular" concept is also a good one as all youll have to do is swap heads depending on how large or heavy the flies youll want to throw.

#8 ·
I have the same rod and am having a difficult time lining it myself. When I bought the rod the guy that I got it from threw in a sage indicator taper line which works really well for indy fishing. I also bought a rio AFS 5/6 head and a airflo ridge running line, I cannot get this setup to cast well for the life of me. I have heard great things about the beulah elixer line and am now quite interested in trying their new tonic line. Please let me know if you have any luck lining this rod. Didn't mean to take over your post but thought that I could let you know what has/hasn't worked for me.
This is an awesome rod and I landed my first steelhead with it this winter on the north fork of the clearwater indy fishing; so much fun!

#9 ·
I have heard great things about the beulah elixer line and am now quite interested in trying their new tonic line.
the tonic is a sick line. one of the first "short skagits" @ 22.5', along with the SA single hand skagit. both are similar lengths and tapers, incorporating a significant front taper into the head, perfect for chucking meat with the shorter spey/switch rods on the market, while still maintaining "wedgeability". both are pretty much my go to switch rod heads when not tight lining deep for winters.

Taylor- that 5/6 afs might be a bit light and long (340gr @ 33') for that 11' 7wt of yours. try something in the 22-24' range and 380-400gr for the hell of it and see what happens. youre not the first to have problems lining this stick...

#12 ·
well, for never casting a rod over 10' long and never using a line with such a heavy head i think my first time playing with a swtich setup was badass. Man you can really crank out some distance casting overhand. ive also never felt a rod load so deep, geez it feels like your swing a 10lb weight around.
anyways, the rod is very sweet for overhead work but being so new to spey casting i cant really comment on its performace in than criteria. i need to find someone around here with some spey casting experience. ill definitely invest in some casting lesson on my next visit out to the PNW. Hopefully i dont form to many bad habits before then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.