Blood worm?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Top in my class, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

I noticed outside my little brothers pool there was this little puddle that had little red worms in it. So my question is are they blood worms, san juan worms, midge larva, chironomid pupa or what?? These are the best photos I could get, I hope they are good enough so you guys can identify what they are. Also is it something I would find in a lake to catch trout?? The picture with my chessie is just to show you how big the puddle was I found them in and where.
    Thanks
    IMG_2444.JPG IMG_2448.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2455.JPG

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Top of my class-

Yes, those are larvae of order Diptera (True Fly) and family Chironomidae. They are red in color due to the presence of hemoglobin, which is characteristic of some Chironomid species, and also the reason they are often referred to as blood worms.

And yes, they are plentiful in most lakes, and trout feed on both them and their pupae, particularly early in the season when there may not be much else available. As to the San Juan Worm pattern, it actually imitates an aquatic earthworm, which is much larger in diameter than a blood worm.

3. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

I believe photo #3 is a Trichoptera Labradorus. Can also be found in lakes, most often during duck hunting season.

McNasty likes this.
  4. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Ok thanks Taxon, and thats true Atomic dog, he is in all kinds of water during duck hunting season.