Blue collar spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Idaho steel, Nov 27, 2011.

1. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

You better hurry Mark as they were discontinued. I think Poppy has one left.

2. FT

FT Active Member

Bruce,

Absolutely right on regarding the myth about so-called tournament rods not being fishing rods! All a person has to do is get to cast one of Carron's superb 18' "tournament rods" to see that the best 2-handed "tournament" or "casters" rods aren't as stiff as a broom handle and that they would very nicely indeed for a days fishing. And like you, I fish regularly with my 16' 11 wt T&T and 18' 12 wt Loomis rods.

Klickrolf,

By-the-way, the Carron rods are among the most expensive 2-handed rods in the world and they have accounted for nearly all the spey casting distance championships the last 7 years of so. But broom sticks they are not, nor are they extreme full-flex rods like the old Sage 9140 Brownie or the CND Expert series rods. But then again, if a person has very limited experience casting a limited number of different rods from different rod makers, it is easy to make this mistake.

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Thanks for your input FT. Never meant to suggest that tournament rods couldn't be good fishing rods but really, who uses an 18' rod for fishing, maybe a few but I'd wager very few. Thought this was about "blue collar" spey rods. You've just stated Carrons are the most expensive, not blue collar...

Even a 15' rod is rarely used. If I push my old Daiwa 15' Jim Love speycaster I'm in the trees on the far bank. Fishing and tournament casting are two different things. I don't doubt your Carron rods are great casting rods. I usually fish 13' rods but have never seen or heard of one used in a tournament. Thought this was about about fishing rods, no disrespect intended. I'm no fast taper enthusiast as a matter fact I'm the opposite. The Daiwa tapers are the best I've found for fishing...hope the Carrons are equal...should be much better at the price.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Despite the trend of short heads and rods, 15 ft rods are still popular on large rivers where long lines are used. The long rods have little to do with casting distance in these applications.

Another "blue collar" rod is the FLI. A little heavy, but a great entry or back-up rod.

5. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

On the Clearwater and Snake I like to fish behind the short rod guys with my 16, 17, or 18ft rods and with these rods, it is all about the distance!
    You can cast really far and hook lots of fish if you cast at the right angle. The fly is fishing is soon as it lands and no mending.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Distance is a byproduct of casting long lines and big rods handle long lines better.

7. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

YEP!!!

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I enjoy scoring big dollar rods on ebay...now that's a budget option!
    I've recently scored a LeCie and a Greaseliner, combined price of either at retail.
    Best deal of all IMHO... a Meiser standard build. Yeh, will sting when you pay but like butter when you play.

9. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

And on the Columbia, the Cowlitz, the Deschutes, the Skagit etc. Certainly we can get more distance with a longer rod and longer head. Now back to the blue collar spey.

Indeed some will use longer rods but most won't...and most PNW rivers don't appreciate rods beyond about 14'...with many a 13 footer is too much. In agreement with FT, a strong tip is crucial (either fat in diameter or fat in graphite thickness).

It's about rod taper much more than rod length...and rod price. The most pleasurable speycasting rods are all auto-casters...if the caster provides the correct impetus the rod will do the work...and with these rods a caster can push or limit them with ease. The weight grain windows are wide and they are forgiving should the caster lose his rhythm.

Good tapers were developed in Scotland, on the Spey, many years ago and few (none that I've experienced other than an early 12ft.8wt.3pc T&T) rods can compete with the physics/geometry of those tapers, whether high buck or blue collar.

OK, that's my take...but I do admit that I've not cast any of the more recent CF Burkheimer or Meiser or ACR or TFO rods. This should provide a resurgence or this thread, please forgive me!

10. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Think we should have tournaments based on rod length. 12 footer, 13 footers, 14 footers and 15 footers. Now that would be fun and really quite informative. I'll enter the 12 & 13 footer games and use low buck rods (so I can make a fool of myself) ...only commercially available lines allowed, pick your line and go. How about it speycasters?

11. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    I'm curious, what rods do you like to fish?

12. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Spey rods

13. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    Do you have any favorites?- I owned a T&T 1208-3 and liked it very much. Was wondering what rods you compared to it and liked to fish now. What particular spey rods do you prefer to fish?

14. Lance

Lance workin' on it

I really like the Beulah, little bit slower action which is nice. It's got that going for it, very strong for the "weight".

15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Wadecalvin. Any rod that provides a meaty enough tip to transfer energy into the butt so I can feel it happen and respond by letting the butt release that energy back through to the tip of the rod. It's really quite simple.