Blue..... the new purple??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Blue works, which is kind of shocking.:confused: I mean, yellow, red, purple, black, orange, peach, rust, brown, olive, white, green, pink, red/white/blue, and tan/burlap have all put steelhead on the beach over the years, so it really surprises me that blue would.:D Duff
    Just like Trix are for kids, most steelhead flies are for anglers. There are places, times, and other variables where color and pattern are important, but to me most of the time, it's all about presentation for our beloved steelies.

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

:rofl:

3. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Coach, you're killing me.iagree

I've heard of guys fishing bare hooks too
    hell, THEY BITE CORKIES!

4. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I hear that argument all the time, but don't entirely buy it. I agree that presentation and fishing w/ confidence are important factors, but color does matter. As everyone knows, some colors are picked up better in various light and/or water conditions. Beyond that, however, some colors just elicit more strikes. I am a pretty average steelheader, but I would be happy to follow any of you through my favorite upper Columbia trib runs with you fishing a bare hook and me fishing my go-to fly. Color does matter. How much? Who knows, but it matters.

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Thank you for that logical, non-ego driven response Tuna. You are right, color and profile do matter, especially under different light and water clearity conditions. Presentation and a player are certianly the key, and yes patterns are definatley driven by confidence, but the fly does play a part. The bare hook guys I think you are referring to consist of some of the N. Umpqua vets who wake shankless hooks.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Steelhead?

Any color's good, as long as it's black.

Black is more visible under all light conditions than any other color.

This has occurred in print an untold number of times. But it won't stop anglers from tying flies in numerous other colors. Me included.

Sg

7. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

"Thank you for that logical, non-ego driven response Tuna." Direct quote from our own beloved Panhandle......Coach Duff

What are you Phil Donahue now? Pan, stick to spey fishing, the talk show host deal will never work as long as you look like Jerry Garcia.:D The networks will never buy into a show with Jerry Garcia trying to convince everyone about how important colors and specific patterns are to steelhead when they've hit buzz bombs, spoons, spinners, plugs of every size, shape and color known to man, earthworms, rubber worms, dry flies, wet flies, skaters, nymphs, jigs, cut plug, hootchies, bait divers, eggs, fake egg clusters with scent, sand shrimp, Dahlberg Divers, God knows what in the Great Lakes, marshmallows, grasshoppers, hellgrammites, and Power Bait. Hey it's your story and you have fun telling it.:D Duff
    PS And I missed a few! It's all about presentation Pan, it's all in the presentation. :beer2:

8. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Coach, you are so damn witty. :ray1:

You did give me a great idea though. Someone needs to come up with a winter steelhead pattern called, "Jerry Garcia." A tie-died marabou spider or tube. :beer2:

9. steve s

steve s Active Member

With the exception of an occasional fly in red, pink or orange, all of my go to patterns have either blue or purple. I generally use blue if the water is clear and purple if it has color to it.

10. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I agree that the main way color and pattern matter is in getting the fish to see the fly and not much more.

Here is a good bit of evidence through experience:

Because steelhead patterns that work often don't catch resident trout much. And realistic patterns that catch resident trout often don't do as well with steelhead.

There are cross-over patterns but there is no doubt that in almost any given steelhead fishing scenario with resident trout and steelhead side by side, there are flies that will only catch one and not the other and vice a versa.

This means there isn't much "nature" to what a steelhead bites.

What does a steelhead like to bite?

If the steelhead is biting, in my experience, it bites just about anything that gets noticed, and gets close enough to warrent the fish's attention.

So when Tuna and Pan say that color and pattern do matter, it isn't in the same way it does with trout flies. It is in a purely funcional sense, so I really don't think anyone is disagreeing here and I don't think what they are saying goes against accepted beliefs within Church of Steelhead.

11. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

And here I thought this thread was going to be about fall fashion or something.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Coach, I've not had the pleasure of meeting you...yet. But I have to ask, becase as I read your above statement I'll tell you what I am seeing in my mind.

Coach Duff, sitting at the computer, oversized for the tiny machine like Linus and his piano, frantically typing the above statement while SHOUTING IT OUTLOUD getting ever louder and louder. Face getting more red by the second and to top it all off you did the whole thing on ONE BREATH. After clicking "submit reply" your face cleared, blood pressure dropped 20 points and you uttered a big sigh of relief.

If I'm not right, don't spoil my visual, just wanted to let you know what reading it made me think of (like one of those wild ink blot tests of what is the first thing to come to mind).

I'm also with Steven Green, I thought this thread was going to be about fashion or the blue tinted lenses in Panhandle's eyewear. It has been much more intriguing than I imagined.

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The Blue Charm worked again this morning on the Snoqualmie although the color of the hackle had nothing to do with my fish coming unbuttoned.

Leland.

14. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Just fish what you are confident in...and you will catch fish. If your buddy is catching more...you are just a bad fisherman. If you are catching more than your buddy you say, "do you know why you aren't catching any?" he says, "why" you say, "because you are a bad fisherman."

15. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Ok, here's a rumor from the banks of a steelhead river I cant confirm or discredit, maybe someone can... "Use blue flies when the water is off color for the color blue is the last color in the color spectrim that a steelhead can see in off color conditions" So I imediately saw a steelhead sitting in a chair telling an eye doctor " Blue you idiot, that;s the only color I can see when its dark in the office room" !:D
    I ran straight to the fly shop, grabbed some blue flies and after 15 min. in the river, BANG... Fish on. No Shixx, go figure... And caught several more on blue later... Probably nothing to it, but a "go to" color for me based on confidence... i still gotta think presentation is the major factor with most all fish catching situations... Hey Panhandle, have you tryed "Gerry Garcia " ice cream?? Good stuff??