Boat Electronics?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Aug 2, 2011.

1. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Ed, I upgraded my Older Lowrance/Eagle which has color/GPS/sounder, to the HDS5 like Ibn also acquired. If you want that sounder/GPS it's yours. It's older technology and requires a speed wheel and possibly a new transducer. I have an external antennae that will also need to be mounted on your boat. I also have the nautic path charts on SDRAM and will need to dig that out somewhere... Let me know...

The newer GPS/sounders don't require external antennae or a speed wheel. I would also recommend hard mounting to the transome versus a shoot thru the hull transducer.

Sportsmans warehouse has the Humminbirds for around $400 if you want to go cheaper but not sure if they have built in charts. I have no experience with the Humminbirds in the salt but has been very user friendly for my Stillwater applications. I would also not recommend going with a smaller handheld unit, you'll appreciate bigger screen size especially when it gets foggy out or making runs at 3 in the am

Oh and the comment about not using a graphite rod?!??? Gotta wonder about that.... Outdoor emporium $15 and get the Daiwa wilderness 9' mooching rod. I have 4 of them and they take the abuse and have landed plenty of hot Kings and Coho with no issues. I run 12 lb balls and troll fast. They get banged around and keep going. One of these days I'll meet you at Kingston and we'll go through the run through...

2. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    And another thought... If you're a smart phone user for $10 you can download the Navionics marine charts with GPS. Keep in mind that you must have cell signal for it to work but anywhere around the sound should be ok. It's pretty darn accurate and having a backup chart/GPS plotter with real time tides on your phone is pretty nifty.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Benn, you don't need a speedometer to tell you if you're fishing the right speed with downriggers. A 30-35 degree angle on your cable while at 80' will let you know you're fishing at the right speed. It's really not that difficult. Nice thing about downriggers is that you can cover water to find fish and then switch to whatever it is that turns you on when you've found them.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Paul, seems I'd be a fool for not taking you up on your electronics and run through offers. I've not had much time to get the boat dialed in yet, but over time I will. Connecting will be a great thing. It will be good for me to see how someone that does this thing A LOT has his boat rigged. I can come your way whenever we can get our schedules aligned. Unfortunately I'm mostly a weekend warrior right now. Thank you.

PT, great point about learning your speed/presentation from the angle of the cable. I have had someone giving me a very good explanation of this with downriggers, motor mooching and a couple of other terms I can't recall.

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    You can use the angle of the DR cable as an approximation, but this all depends on the current and tides. I usually troll fast, between 3-3.5 mph which usually equates to a 45 degree angle. I've talked to alot of pros from Salmon University and guys that are alot more fanatic about this stuff (black box dudes) and they all agree with a faster troll speed.

Having a good sounder is essential IMO for marking bait and structure. Once you find the bait, you will typically find feeding fish. I swear I can distinguish Kings under a school of herring while the Coho are up top of the bait ball snapping off the stragglers.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure I can identify kings tail swatting bait in less than two feet of water right in front of me. The abuse they put on me and my 5wt switch rod really leaves the heart racing. I know many boat folks that rely heavily on their electronics to add to the overall information they process for success. I like processing information. I like success. I want to get my girls on fish that are as big as they are. I dig my little fishy chicks.

7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

remember that you will catch fish that your electronics never see. i've fished with folks so focused on the electronics they miss the fish signs all around them or get antsy to move because they aren't seeing fish on the screen (forgetting how little of the water a sounder will see.)

you'll quickly learn whether downrigger fishing is for you. start cheap on the riggers... just in case you find it as mind numbingly boring as i do.:)