boat for Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kim Hampton, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Thanks for the info Smalma and everyone else,
    I took a look at some Lunds today at Sound Island Marina. Nice boats but I want to look at the Duro boats before I do anything. I agree, I'd want a steering console. You said yours is a center console. I don't see that option as it looks as if everything is off to the side or can you place it in the center? I know a Boston Whaler is a great boat but I'm not sure if I want to throw that much coin at something realizing I spend over half the year in Alaska working.

Boy you got me thinking when you mentioned Willapa...about how old I'm getting. I grew up in the Grayland/Westport area and started working on the charter boats as a baitboy when I was 12 years old. Myself and my two older brothers ran the things for several years. The two older brothers owned their own. I remember going inside the N. Spit of Willapa close to shore at times and fishing kings. It was great fun when the fish were there but I kind of lost the desire to fish that way (gear instead of flies) after baiting hooks and taking care of tourists that long. Of course we called small boats like a 16' Lund coffins. That was over 25 years ago.

Anyway getting all this information is great and gives a direction to research. That's half the fun.
    Kim

2. livetofish

livetofish Fish to Live

Lund over Duraboat any day. Resale is good and they take a pounding and keep coming back for more (mine's a 1985!).

Also, seriously consider a foot controlled, bow mount saltwater electric motor for working the beach and keeping the boat positioned hands-free in current and/or wind. More casting, less steering; no anchoring means being able to follow the fish if necessary. Remember that on most beaches the cutts are in close to the beach and it doesn't take long to get blown/pushed in too close or out too far.

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Kim -
    Sorry I mis-stated the position of the console - it is on the right side. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. Still a nice boat that I'm really enjoying!

Curt

4. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Hey Kim,
    The important part is the motor. I can not stress this enough. All my life I have made my living in small boats one way or another and all I have to say is...Yamaha. Do not compromise on this and I am sure you will be happy with whatever hull you choose.

5. gt

gt Active Member

yep, i concur on the yamaha engine. every third world location i have fished, that is what you find. bad gas, probably little to no maintenance, keep on tickin'. when reelfast was in the planning phase, almar asked what engines, i said yamaha, they said '...the best choice from their point of view, but i could specify anything i wanted...' i have to say, when i start these 150s, i actually have to go to the stern to make sure the pee stream is there, thats how quiet they are, amazing.

6. EHB86

EHB86 Member

I bought a 16' Northriver Revenge last summer, put a 4 stroke, 40 hp tiller Yamaha on it and we love it. Handles the Sound fine, real beamy, with enough of a V to ride well. Will do nearly 40 when it's flat. The boat is real open, with a flat sole, I would highly recommend looking at one, they are not much more than a Lund (which is a great boat), but they are, in my opinion a lot more boat.

I also have a 23' aluminum boat with twin 4 stroke 115's, but the Revenge is so easy to launch and deal with in general, that it gets all the use. I put downriggers and a sounder on it, works slick for trolling and plenty of room for flyfishing. Easy for one person to launch/haul. My .02. Worth what you paid for it. The Yamaha motors are real hard to beat.

7. jerreca

jerreca New Member

I've been using a valco bayrunner '18 on Monterey Bay for years and I love it. I find it a stable platform. Easy to trailer. 40 hp Evinrude = 25 mph. Evinrude very reliable. The boat has higher sides than most aluminum boats and may not be the easiest for climbing in and out if beached. Great in rough water, tho. Just moved to Puget Sound and can't wait to fish it here. Good luck. je

8. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

You are going to love your 18' in the San Juans. I've run a bayrunner 20' for the last 3 years in the San Juans. It seems to be the perfect trade off between cost, trailerability and comfort on the water.

9. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

I have a Boston Whaler 16' Dauntless that is great on the Sound. It has a nice casting platform up at the bow that's perfect for flyfishing. I miss my old 15' bayrunner's ability to beach on the rocks, as well as it's relatively lighter weight for launching, but the Whaler's a LOT safer feeling on bigger water when the wind and waves kick up as they so often do. Every boat I've ever had has been somewhat of a compromise, it's the nature of the beast and you have to get what suits you best. Greg

10. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Agreed.

If you are looking at aluminum boats, determine if you want a rivetted or welded hull. There are negatives and positives to each. If you want to look at a welded aluminum boat (typically heavier gauge aluminum bottoms and sides relative to similar model rivetted boats) and want to go new, check out the Crestliner Alaskan 16' boat.

Given a choice, it would be Alumaweld. Then the Whaler. :)

11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Boats have been a problem for me. I never have the one that I want.

Right now I have, what I feel, is the prettiest boat that I have ever run. It is a composite center console boat, 17.5 feet, and really heavy. Nothing smooths chop out like 2,000 pounds of hull, but launching and taking out can be a problem on sketchy ramps. There have been many times where I wanted to go out, or come back in, but the ramp that I wanted to use was just a shithole of broken concrete at that level. Muscling 3,500 of boat, trailer and motor isn't prudent.

If I had to do it over again I would get an aluminumboat with an appropriate tiler steer motor. Yamaha would be my first choice. Tom Wolf runs an aluminum boat - he can lauch at pretty much any ramp, it sips gas and he gets around Neah Bay just fine.

Another viable option would be a RBI. A 16' - 18' RBI is light and incredibly seaworthy. The low freeboard would help keep from getting blown around when you are drifting a shoreline. I once was running S&R off the Jersey coast in a 14' RBI in 20' breaking seas. I had Wave Runners around me and a chopper in the air. It was a warm day and I would have been immediately picked up if I went swimming. In all, the 14' RBI and Wave Runners were better in those conditions then the 21' Impact. I could turn and run fast through the wave troughs, where the Whaler just didn't have that agility.

Re Whalers.... They are great boats, but there are also plenty of others in that genre that deliver a better value. Whalers hold their value, but if you are buying used it will work against you. Grady, Wahoo and Mako come readily to mind. I worked out of a 21' Impact for two years, and that was a phenominal boat for lots of different waters, but the Impact and the recreational Whalers are worlds a part.

12. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

My Brother and I bought a 1997 19' Wooldridge SUV with the offshore motor mount 2 years ago from Ed's Guide Service up in BC. This boat was specifically bought for the sound and playing around Neah Bay.

They sold it with the trailer and rigging and a 130 horse 2 stroke which we pulled off and replaced with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke for a few bucks over $16k.. It tops out at 45 and cruises really well at about 32-33.

They thought something was wrong with the boat because it cavitated so much so we took it down to Wooldridge in Seattle and he told us that the only problem with it was that the motor was mounted way too high and they had put some custom prop on it. We dropped the motor and went back to the factory prop. Ran like a champ. We ended up selling that motor though 2 weeks later back to Ed's and picking up the Yami.

13. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Wahoo and Mako are definitely cheaper than their Whaler counterparts, but I don't know if you could say that Grady Whites are any less expensive - I would lean towards the opposite.

Why would holding value work against you if you are buying used? If you have the cash and are looking for something that will be decent investment (in boat terms of course:beathead: ), you can't beat a whaler. We had a late 80s 17' Montauk for 8 years that we left it in the water all summer, ran hard and put away wet and sold for the same price we bought it for. I can't say anything for the quality of the boats under the new ownership, but I taught sailing out of a different 17' from probably the early 70s that was on its third or fourth engine and still going strong. That hull will be around for another 25 years.

14. gt

gt Active Member

if you intend to go with a new or use glass boat, do your homework and find out just how much wood is used in the construction process. several, perhaps all, with the whaler as an exception, still utilize the old style wood stringer/chopper gun construction methods. dry rot waiting to happen to'yah.

15. South Sound

South Sound Member

You said you wanted one for Searuns. Why in the hell would people want a 90 hp for searuns. I understand the issue of getting here and there, but damn this seems more like bass boat excessive hp. Get a high sided boat or a whaler. Either way make sure you can run in 2-3 ft or water. The best searun action required you run in shallow. SHALLOW water. I mean shear pin busting water. You can run a smaller kicker motor, but you have to ask how much are you getting yourself into for Searuns. I run a Alumaweld 1969. 1982 Evinrude 6hp. Old school and little worry or maintance. Run up onto the rocks so you can cast from shore.

Just my .02