Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bob Jones is going to the Sandy Spey Clave

Spey 
1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob Jones 
#1 ·
Bob will be there demonstrating his famous two handed casting techniques and signing autographs from 8am on. If you've never seen Bob in action it's time. He's the opening act for April

#3 ·
:eek:Jim that's going a bit far!!!! I haven't made a cast since the day of the Toutle and no twohanded since a month before that. Now I''m going to get embarassed to even meet April. Probably cast about two feet.' My luck will probably be as good as it was on the toutle. I don't need to be the fool for everyone else. Good luck to all of us.:eek::beathead:

#4 ·
I'm sure Jim Is setting me up again like advertising that I was going fishing on the Toutle last time to all the forum and I lost my wife. Don't know what I might loose this time. I stilll haven't caught a fish going with him so we'll have to see. I do hope to see many of you there. Certainly don't expect any show on my part. I may fall in just to see if I can get up by myself. I am expecting to spend most of the time sitting and will try to learn a little more about casting good luck and happy fishing!!.

can get up some more

#6 ·
GReat Brian that's some thing I can look foreward to. and actually have never looked into some of these newer brands thanks

#7 ·
We certainly lucked out on the weather today and had a time at the spey clave. fair crowd and activity, and met a few more that I've been wanting to meet. I should go again tomorrow and meet some more but I don't know if my energy level will hold up. Jim and Joel thanks for the ride today that helped alot. Any one else available for a ride. Bob

#13 ·
;)Bob followed April....and I mean followed!!!!;););)
Did you get her autograph?

Nice to meet Bob and Jim.

Grayone
If I'd followed her that close I'd have gotten more than an autograph!! but I missed out.By the time I was up in the area where most of the people were I was hurting from our hike down the river. We were the very last three on the line of casters so had the farthest to come back. I wasn't looking for her after that. now I'm really stiff and sore. sorry no special report about April this time.

ii

#10 ·
Steve, We spent agood part of the day talking Pinks and you so we'll be getting ready for that for sure. Jim really enjoyed getting together with you in the 'old' neighbor hood. I'm still looking for April I think she avoided me and I didn't tell people who I was cause they didn't care. It was great to meet Greyone and his wife we ate lunch at their table so had time to chat. Jim and Joel talked to Randy Stetzer and I fooled around looking for Alex and didn't get told about that being Randy until we were on our way out. The river was looking real good. It was a great day and I was Exhausted but it gave me more incentive to keep going. so that's good. came home to start planning the DESCHUTES trip. Happyfishing !!

#11 ·
I met Randy when I first learned to flyfish. He and John Hazel were the guides in Kaufmanns house when I took their flyfishing school thirty years or so ago. He was young and brash but a hell of a flyfisher. I saw him again a couple of years ago at the Bellevue flyfishing show. We had a chat then. He, of course, didn't remember me but I won't soon forget him. He knows what to do and how to get the job done.

#12 ·
I bought Randys book when I first really got into f ly tying and it really was a help Since I got my stuff from Kaufmanns I saw him fairly often. He was always a help. The guys were real inthused about what they learned yesterday from Randy who works for TFO now.

#14 ·
Correction Bob, Randy works for Rajeff Sports not TFO. We did have a great time at the clave. Had a great lunch with Grayone and his wife and met a new buddy from Idaho. I ran into Nichole Darland and was able to chat with her and was kind enough to agree to have my picture taken with her and her husband and new twins, I put her ahead in the looks catagory with April, what a cutie! We got personal instruction from guides like Tom Larimar and several others for 2 or 3 hours on the river. One of them told me that he was impressed with my 2 handed casting and couldn't see any bad habits, I did smell a hint of whiskey on his breath so I think he was drunk! I did get a chance to look over the Fish Cat Fat Mans float tube and probably will pull the trigger on one of those soon. I looked to me like fishing from my recliner, my kind of fishing! Anyways there's 2 days left on the clave so there's still time to go down to Oxbow Park and join the crowd. I still haven't been swayed from my Echo Rods and can't wait till August when the high modulas rods come out. My 8wt switch will probably be for sale then. And we did have a good time with Bob even though he kept stalking April, I've never seen him move that fast.

#15 ·
Boy the stories that were told and the women we wooed and the blind eye we were using to see our friends. Yes I agree that You need a fat mans tube to hold that weight and even more if your head swells that fast, and I agree that the one that was impressd your casting was Drunk and blind. The other agreement is on Nichole, since I never saw April, as I was always dragging along behind you. I never did find Alex and the motel said they didn't have him on the list of tennants. I 'm really so fast that you've never seen me move. Well if you decide to make it over there a nother day call me I'm sure I can take this crap again. and maybe Aprill is still there. I may be able to walk by then.

#16 ·
Went down Saturday with the intention of staying over through Sunday. Saw lots of people and checked out some gear, but after the BBQ dinner, the rain became serious, and I decided against pitching my tent only to have to deal with wet gear at home today, so I bailed in the early evening and headed home. Maybe next year.

Sg

#18 ·
Glad to answer but it's anticlimatic. I would have gone again sat or sun but we had ended up the farthest group down the river,therefore had the farthest to come back The river was beautiful great color and still high from run off but not really from silt. Just to be on the river would have been best, I did enjoy the booths and the people . I should have met more, but the few I met were great .today like yesterday I was too tired and hurting some from the walk on the rock and sand. and my son who had planed to take me on Sat was tied up. Nxt time I'll go in better shape and ready for what occurs. James do you ever fish with Jim Riggins? we went togeather and now want to go to fish there. Doyou have an Oregon llic.?

#19 ·
Bob, I've never fished with Jim but if guys plan to fish and need a 3rd wheel let me know, especially if it's one of our local rivers. Don't really like to fish Oregon much...just too expensive and there is a lot of great water on this side of the river. I'm willing to purchase day licenses for the right outing.

James

#20 ·
I agreeetheres alot of places I'd llilke t ofish over there too but now I'''m in Oregono and still have toget my wash lic and it's gone up again to about 140 with the ne'w 30$ fee I '''''m going to have more apportunity to fish this year ,at least I hope to with friends and so I'll try the full year this time but that may be the last, I''''m not sure at all. I f we are going your way I'll try to reach you first. Even the daily lic,are getting bad. Most of us may have to give uup fishing any place but home in the future at this rate. What kind of fishing we get then is so bad at times we might as well just go with out hooks and cast all day . Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.