Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Boooooyaaa!!!

Spey 
6K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  Emergence 
#1 ·
Nice little girl. First fish in a long time that has really kicked my ass.

#34 ·
Goodness gracious! These are summer fish that enter in early summer (A's). In the fall the B's come in numbers through november. However, new fish, though very small in numbers continue to filter in through the winter. The ratio of fish that are beat up vs. Spring chickens is poor. Look at pictures of fish caught in late february into march. High water pushed a bunch of fish up high and put fish in places that they usually don't arrive to until a month from now (SF). An anomoly fishing situation occured and I took advantage it, that's it.

#35 ·
Thanks! Thats what Im going for. Weird is ripping some kid a while ago for wanting to have some fun on the South Fork in the winter, and then post a picture of yourself doing just that, actually thats called being a hypocrite. Why not make it a habit? Afraid you might have too much fun catching some big ass fish on beads and bobbers, its like that old joke what do fat chicks and mopeds have in common? both fun to ride until your friends see you on one. Weird is that hat...you said bring it.

#46 ·
I thought the central issue has everything to do with opinion and nothing to do with facts. Is it ethical or sporting to fish beads on the SF CW for surplus hatchery fish trucked there because they are excess to hatchery needs and may provide some recreational value and possibly contribute to natural steelhead production? Oh, and the fish are tired, staging, pre-spawners. Is there more to it?

Sg

#57 ·
for surplus hatchery fish trucked there because they are excess to hatchery needs and may provide some recreational value and possibly contribute to natural steelhead production?

Sg
I don't know this fishery at all but I assumed the fish get there on their own. Does IDFG truck adult steelhead to the SF CW? I know they do that on the Boise River but I didn't know fish passage was blocked on the SF CW. Now I'm confused.

Yeah, Pan can be pretty opinionated but if we were all the same, this site would be pretty boring. I'm glad to see someone admit they may have been wrong.

#51 ·
Pan,

What do you mean by, "eroding hatchery fishery?"

Zen,

Good info, but hatchery fish apparently do naturalize in some inland environments. Let me preface this by noting that at least a couple western WA summer steelhead populations have been created from hatchery summer runs spawning naturally. Wild steelhead runs became functionally extinct in the Methow and Wenatchee Rivers due to logging splash dams in the early 1900s. Runs later re-established. The most common source was Ringold hatchery summer runs, but there could have been residual native steelhead left in the rivers downstream of the dams. And then there were the resident rainbow trout still in the river systems, and more likely than not, they contributed significantly in re-establishing runs. It's probably impossible to say for sure what the most casual factor was, but I understand that there is a lot of Ringold DNA in those fish.

The upshot I suppose, is that at least some of the wild CW steelhead are descendants of hatchery steelhead spawning in the natural environment. But it's not likely 75%.

Sg

#54 ·
Beautifully fish andy and mark. Salmo, many people believe the CW is exclusively a brat fishery, and based on the past four year's numbers I wouldn't call it a degrading fishery either, as Someone earlier referenced it. Is there a lot of work to be done with netting and perhaps bait bans? Yes. Andy, even with tribes purposely neglecting clipping, why would F&G continue to count those as wild fish? In other words, what's their motivation?

#55 ·
Because the adipose fin is the only way they count wild or not. That's how the regs read and that's the policy in act by the fish and game. Pretty simple. And the tribes are separate sovereign nations acting on there own set of laws. Communications and consistencies between the agencies are not always established.

#58 ·
or surplus hatchery fish trucked there because they are excess to hatchery needs and may provide some recreational value and possibly contribute to natural steelhead production?
LOL....I wonder what that does to the homing instinct...I can't get rid of this picture in my mind of a bunch of hatchery fish queuing up in a pool holding bus tickets...

#60 ·
I caught neither of these fish but couldn't help showing them off. The first fish, caught be Emergence (I call him Steve) is one of the most beautiful steelhead I've ever seen. I know i left you a drunken phone message back in October but let me re-iterate, nice fish you bastard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.