Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bought my first spey!

Spey 
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Blake Harmon 
#1 ·
Well, after saving a LONG time to buy a single hand 8wt set up, I promptly changed my mind and returned it in favor of a scott ls2 1408 spey...... I think I made the right choice! Now i just have to figure out how to cast this thing!

#2 ·
Congrats on the new rod. I bought the ls2 1307 a couple of months ago and it has become my favorite rod. I paired it with the new AFS heads for summer work and plan on lining it with a skagit head this winter. I haven't played around with too many different line combos yet but have have been told the ls2 rods are versatile.

#3 ·
ya, i casted it with a skagit head before i purchased it. I bought a delta spey 8/9 for it......... Have not thrown that line yet. But it was reccomended by a well versed spey fisherman, so i am sure it will work fine.

#4 ·
Delta 8/9 is spot on on this rod, as well as a 550 skagit with 5 foot cheater and 9 weight Rio tips and equivalent t-14, etc. I have this rod and it is one of the favorites that I have. Very light and and a nice action. Paired with these two lines you ought to be able to fish anywhere. It also handles a Nextcast 75 in 7/8 very nicely for a light load.

Do yourself a favor and get some instruction it will make a world of difference and save you frustration and second thoughts.

Good luck in your new venture!

Jeff

#5 ·
one of the great things about this purchase is the fact that at Pacific fly fishers, if you buy a spey set up (rod, reel and line) micheal will spend a half day out there and show you how to use it. Ive seen the guy cast and lets just say I have no problems letting him coach me!

#8 ·
Haha, I was reading this thinking.... didnt that fool drop the bomb on a meiser this summer?

Props on your first skated fish, and first on the spey this year tho Jesse, that was ILLLLL to watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.