Brady

NFR 
3K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 ·
Tom Brady Wins......again

His suspension was overruled.

#45 ·
Hi Gene,
It was decided in Federal Court because there was a dispute between an interstate employer (the NFL) and an interstate union (NFLPA) concerning the fairness of discipline imposed on a member of the union by the employer as indicated by the contract between the parties. When there are legal disputes, judges rule; if this was a local union and a local employer the cast would have been filed first in a state court. If your employer fired you because, for example, they decided that you were too old, wouldn't you want the ability to contest that decision in court or argue that the process was unfair?

Interestingly, the NFL filed their case to confirm the four game suspension first so that they could pick the particular Federal Court in which the case would be heard (in this case, the Southern District of NY) because they thought it would be more favorable to their argument. The players typically file in Minnesota because they have had several favorable rulings in that court.

I'm sure that the NFLPA and the NFL teams pay enough federal taxes to defray the costs of the judge's time in this case. [Though at the rate that Goodell and the NFL are losing their discipline cases in federal court, the NFL may want to think about hiring better lawyers and a more competent commissioner.]
Steve

#11 ·
This deflate gate and the questionable Seahawks last play call have basically robbed the Patriots of their Superbowl Glory.....Many people still think of the Hawks as the best team. Pats didn't win it, the Hawks lost it.......and lost it to cheaters I love it!!!

#14 ·
The balls were never deflated. The science showed it so clearly that the NFL hired a company (exponent) that once argued smoking didn't cause cancer to say otherwise. The NFL then tried to smear him through false leaks (lies) to Mortenson et al. Most of the public believes he did something because we've been trained that everyone is lying and cheating through baseball PED scandals etc.

Anyone who was a big enough dork to read the actual Wells report (me), knew that the case was bunk. Given their lack of evidence the NFL had to rely on their perceived absolute power to punish a man for something that did not happen. They did not allow Brady basic discovery to defend himself, did not allow him to question key witnesses, and punished him an unprecedented amount for something that in all IMO likely never happened. In the end it was those problems that sunk them in Berman's court. The reason they had to act that way was that they really could not even prove the balls were deflated. In fact, the pressure readings from the gauge the referee said he used would show that they were not deflated. This was buried in a footnote in the Wells report.

In the end, it was Goodell's hubris that bit the NFL in the ass...............................again. He isn't an emporer that is above labor law. He's a failure when it comes to disciplinary issues. Pat's get to play Brady in game 1.

Go Sox,
cds

#18 ·
I would never give up my cell phone. The NFL already had all the info they asked for through Jastremski and McNally. Given that the NFL had already leaked incorrect info and had already begun smearing Captain America why would he then give over his phone so they could do it more?

In America you prove guilt not innocence. By not giving over his phone he just proved he wasn't willing to give ammunition to a scumbag (Goodell) to smear him with. There could have been any number of personal things on that phone that he did not want out, none of them dealing with football or footballs. Goodell had already shown that he was a liar and willing to smear Brady, why give him more ammo?

Malcolm Butler........................................best play ever!

Go Sox,
cds

#19 ·
I don't know... I just can't trust a team with a coach that wears a ratty ol' grey hoddie on the sidelines :)

I don't give a rip if he did it or not, I still want to know why the hell a Federal Judge was involved with this case. Does this mean a Federal Judge will always need to decide if the NFL can fine or punish one of their players if they decide a rule was broken?

#21 ·
Whether or not Brady was aware, much less orchestrated the deflation of the footballs, there is adequate proof that those balls were deflated, thus breaking the league rules. Absolutely, in a court, there was not enough evidence to prove Brady guilty, but the Pats organization is surely responsible for the act. The NFL handled it badly, too. Goodell has proven himself unable to properly administer punishment to offenders, and this is no exception.

#22 ·
1. There was not adequate proof that the balls were knowingly deflated by any person - where have you been? You said it yourself, there is no evidence supporting this besides word of mouth and media slander.

2. How are you so sure the Pats organization is responsible, wouldn't it be more accurate to say the refs whom supposedly inspect and handle the game balls are responsible?

There are plenty of people like yourself that will continue to believe Brady knowingly deflated the footballs, that is what the NFL and media want. Good job

#23 ·
https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/On-the-Wells-report.pdf

There was no actual proof the balls were tampered with at all. That's the actual reason Brady won. Without proof of a crime the NFL was forced to create a sham of a report and a sham of a hearing. In the end they lose because of the sham's but they needed to do it that way in order to punish the Patriots.

In the end this was all about Colts and Jets employees/ former employees and their vendetta against Belichik and Goodell's Machiavellian leadership style and need to punish someone after screwing up the Ray Rice deal.

Go Sox,
cds

#24 ·
Whatever, haven't read the Wells Report and I think the whole episode is somewhat blown out of proportion, but . . . Charles Sullivan and Pat Mahoney, you need to read Berman's actual decision. It doesn't have anything to do with a determination of whether the balls were deflated or whether Brady had anything to do with them being deflated. You and Kraft Mac n' Cheese can put whatever spin on this ruling you want, but people with basic reading comprehension who are willing to invest the time to read the ruling know that Berman didn't find him innocent. He basically found the disciplinary process itself flawed, for reasons including that (according to the judge) Tommy didn't have adequate notice of the potential consequences of deflating footballs and didn't have access to some of the NFL's investigative files and information. Not taking anything away from Tommy's stunning win in court (and would bet anything that Roger is sure wishing now he would have tried harder to settle), but let's not conflate Berman's ruling with a finding of innocence. I analogize it more to a confessed murderer getting charges dismissed because the cops failed to read him his Miranda rights before he spilled the beans. :)

#28 ·
Preston

I know this soap opera has consumed some of my friends.
In all reality, their lives are very dull. So its important to them, equivalent to Honey Boo Boo and the Kardashians in my eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.