Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

braided loops vs nail knot for steelhead and salmon

Spey 
3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
looking for information and preference on which is the if you will "better" for the application of using this with tips for steelhead and salmon i have some new tips to use but not shure if i will use loops or nail knot to conect leader to tips thank you for any information.

#8 ·
Double the tip over about an inch and tie the nailknot around that and trim off the doubled over tag. It gives a better bite on the thinner sinktip material.

#13 ·
For all our customers, we tie two and sometimes three nailknots with 18.5 lb. leader over a doubled flyline and coat it with pliobond to smooth it out. Nailknots derive their strength from biting into the plastic coating of the flyline. I'd rather put my trust (and our customers) in a good ol' loop to loop connection.

Leland.

#15 ·
Braided loops suck in my opinion... they slip and I've had the loop un-ravel a couple of times. I always nail knot with a perfection loop to my leader and or sink tips. If you do choose to use the commercial braided loops I would recommend that you add two or three nail knots spaced equally on the length of the braid, and then use a longer piece of heat shrink tubing being ultra careful not to damage the nylon. You can also use Zap a Gap to smooth it out. I think its just too much hassle and better off using a stiff piece of 30# Brown Maxima.

#20 ·
Clearly, your post is incomplete....and very well could be interpreted as chippy....why not tell the "great unwashed" how TO use them properly.....for myself, I install the braided loop, one nail knot at the end to keep from unfraying, and some superglue over the length of the braid, all the while hanging the loop with a small weight to keep straight till the glue dries.

#22 ·
ARRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!:mad:

Tied/attached one way or the other, don't remember loosing a tip, etc. Until ......YESTERDAY.. AFTER READING this thread .......I lost a brand new Skagit head/tip and then a extra fast sinking poly leader.:beathead:

SHUT UP YOU GUYS; you're costing me BIG BUCKS!:rofl:

#23 ·
Those who know you a long time, no that you have probably 4 sets of unused tips/lines lying dormant in your vest for years, as backups, like I. Never ever be on the river when a line or reel without a backup in case you are on a hot run of chromers, etc.. A backup rod requires a hike to the car most times if its safe to leave one in it where your fishing, out here its safe most of the time I have found, never had my car broken into while fishing to date.

:thumb:

HE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.