Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Brakewater 11/12 Reel with Rio WindCutter 9/10/11

Spey 
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Richard E 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the discountinued Redington Brakewater 11/12
Reels for a spey rod. I have a Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 versi
tip line and I'm not sure it will fit. I'm looking for an inexpensive
spey reel. My spey rod is a Loomis 15 ft. traditional rod.

thanks

#4 ·
Can someone add to this by giving me the weight of the reel itself? Then the weight with backing, the WC 9/10/11, or whatever line you have on it?
Thanks lads.
Salmon Chaser
By the way,, if your line is a little snug,, peel off 50 yards of backing or so. The chance of a fish spooling you with over 250yds of backing is about one in a million:p

#6 ·
I have the Brakewater 9/10 that carries an Airflo Delta 8/9/10 just fine. It's to the rim with 250yds of backing but as mentioned, you don't need that much. I personally love that reel and it balances my 14' 9wt perfectly and I was a little disappointed when I found out they were discontinuing the model.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why they are being discontinued?

#9 ·
DoubleL said:
I have the Brakewater 9/10 that carries an Airflo Delta 8/9/10 just fine. It's to the rim with 250yds of backing but as mentioned, you don't need that much. I personally love that reel and it balances my 14' 9wt perfectly and I was a little disappointed when I found out they were discontinuing the model.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why they are being discontinued?
Just coming with a newly designed model. I haven't fished the new model, but in scratching and sniffing it, it seems to me the Brakewater is a little better quality/built. Just an opinion . . . :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.