Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Brand New To Fly Fishing.

Spey 
1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve Saville 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for years, and lastnight I took my first step. I've been researching switch rods for about a month, and decided to start off with a cheaper rod until I know if I'm really into it. I bought a Cabela's 11'6 8 Wt. and a Ross CLA 4 reel. For a line, the counter guy rec'd an 8 wt./90 ft./with a 10 ft. sink tip type 4 on the end.

Will I be able to spey cast with this line, or do I need to upgrade the line right outta the gate? Also, I've got backing and the fly line on there, do I just tie a leader onto the fly line?
I don't have a clue about any of this. I did buy an instructional spey casting video. I'm gonna give it a try Monday evening.

#2 ·
well you can start ovehead casting with that setup. but if you plan to spey cast, id recommend getting another spool for that real and fill it with backing, running line, and a compact scandi or skagit head. (look at the grain rec. for size) and throw a sinktip on the skagit or a polly leader on the scandi.

#4 ·
zcoach, most of the major line manufacturers like Rio, Airflo, Scientific Anglers, Orvis and others manufacture a small diameter non tapered line called "running line". This can be used between your dacron or gel spun backing on your spool end and your shooting head flyline on the fish end. I have some made by Orvis that floats, cast like a dream and mends very well in moving water. I have also put some Airflo ridge running line on a spool for my tactical shooting heads. Airflo makes this in intermediate sink and I might get one for my beach setup too. Best of luck.

#6 ·
I'll be fishing for Steelhead, and Browns. I'm sure I'll end up getting a lighter set-up down the road.........or next week:)

Can't wait to get started. I'm going to the river for my first practice session as soon as the Skagit line comes in.

Oh yea, is Skagit casting easier to learn than traditional spey casting?

#7 ·
I would say it's esier. You can take more time in your casts which will help you learn what your doing wrong. And you can use the skagit setup in more situations than traditional. It's especially great for throwing heavy weighted streamers which is what you be using, and that's what skagit lines were Made for.

Arthur

#9 ·
Backing YES, your 120' line is the running line integrated to the skagit head, so no additional running line needed there. Leader and tippet to the fly line. Others will weigh in on the yes or no to the sink tip between your fly line and leader. The fishing situation will likely dictate that along with your preferences. I asked that very same question to someone here a while back. If it is any consolation, I'm still confused as hell and will likely remain that way for the foreseeable future.

#10 ·
ZCoach,

Yes, it can be quite confusing at first, but once you have your setup dialed in, then things get easier. Except for spey casting- that can require a lot of practice and instruction is highly recommended. But after that, things should get easier. ; ) I'm still waiting to see the light myself.

So you already got a full Skagit line. Another option to that is a level running line matched to Skagit or Compact Skagit shooting head. But don't sweat it now since you already got your line. As Mumbles noted, a sink tip may be needed depending on your fishing situation. If you want to get down in deeper and/or faster water, a sink tip of some sort is needed. Attach a shortish section (I have about a foot, maybe less) of heavy mono to the of the sink tip. This will stay in place so tie a good nail knot and make a loop on the other end. Then 12 lb tippet (again, length depending on situation) looped to the leader. For lower water conditions later this summer, you may not need a sink tip at all. Clear as mud?

Having gotten into this fairly recently myself, I cannot over-emphasize getting some instruction before you head out. It'll get you started on the right track and help avoid picking up any bad habits that you wouldn't otherwise know you were picking up. It'll shave a lot of time off your learning curve as well and you'll enjoy it a lot sooner.

Have fun!

#13 ·
There are different knots for joining different types of lines. Nail knot is a good one for attaching fly line to backing (though some like an Albright knot) and leader to fly line. But it's not the only knot you can use here, and there are a wide variety of other knots used for different applications. Recommend you Google "fly fishing knots" or pick up a little booklet I've found invaluable over the years: Guide to Fly Fishing Knots by Larry V. Notley.

You could really benefit from taking a Fly Fishing 101 class at a local shop, or if you know someone who is already into the obsession, make them your best friend. Glad to share info, but it's hard to learn things over the internets.

#14 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm gonna try and find a shop around here(Western Michigan) that offers a class, or clinic. You guys are good but probably won't be able to coach me on casting over the net. In the meantime I'm gonna continue to ask stupid questions on here. You guys seem to be pretty knowledgable, and have given me good direction so far.

Thanks again.

#15 ·
Learn your knots and cast, and you're out fishing...

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/faq/idx/0/063/article/Knot_Guide.html

There is more in the articles section of this site, but another site that I've liked for casting descriptions, illustrations and videos is:

http://www.sexyloops.com/

For flycasting specifically:
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/index.shtml

The best way to learn to cast would be in a basic flyfishing class or private lessons, but there are some good books out there too.

Good luck!

#16 ·
Coolest simple book that I got and still love to review is the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It is funny, informative and generally cool. Find it if you can. Learning all on your own will add a longer learning curve, I did that. Learning in the company of others who know or instructors who will teach you would be good. Finding some here on WFF that might be near you could work well too. Best of luck, keep your questions coming, someone here will know the answers or direct you to those that know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.