BreAking news

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 8, 2014.

1. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    You can whack bulls on the Sky. No idea why, but it's okay according to WDFW.

4. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Shoot, didn't catch a steelhead; might as well keep this here dolly.

Dang.

(edit: Nice fish, danielocean)

sopflyfisher likes this.
  5. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

You guys are clueless, bull trout is fucking delicious.

Recipe:
    1/10th of a bull trout filet
    1 full steelhead filet
    BBQ the bitch
    Salt & pepper & lemon -- booyah

And if you REALLY want to bring out the flavor, use less bull trout and add some more steelhead.

Chawhee and Supacash like this.
  6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The 20 inch minimum size limit on bull trout came from some life history studies on the region's bull trout (Skagit/Stillaguamish/Snohomish river basins). It was found that there were 3 basic life histories - resident, fluvial and anadromous. What was found was that a 20 minimum size limit would protect virtually all the females in the population through at least one spawning. The resident fish would be protected their whole life, the fluvial (river dwelling) fish would be protect for at least 2 spawnings and the anadromous fish for one or two spawnings. This regulation change went into effect in 1990 was design to address what was thought to be an over fishing problem (many of the fish were being harvested as both sub-adult and adult fish).

It appears that the change was successful in addressing the over-harvest problem as evidenced by significant increases in spawning abundance with the degree of response apparently limited by the amount of spawning and rearing habitat for the small juvenile bull trout. Following the regulation change there was a several fold increase in spawners on the Snohomish system and on the Skagit the increase was more than a 20 fold increase in the numbers of fish on the spawning grounds.

For those interested in a thumbnail sketch of bull trout 101 the following link may be of interest -

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-skagit-bull-trout-bio.83193/

It may be time to re-visit bull trout management in those basins where harvest is currently allowed though it may be well to remember that in those basins where bull trout harvest is not allowed fishing for them is prohibited. While that may not be a problem to some the is somewhat of an angler ethical question for those that want to target them.

Curt

7. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Looks like one less female to me.. thanks Nate and WDFW for great management of wild fish.

[​IMG]

8. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

If I fought with one of those fish, and caught it. I would be really pissed.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  9. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Matt Baerwalde and David Dalan like this.
  10. lol this boner i see all the time

http://reelpriorities.com/services/

I should mention that i have no issues with this guy or anything, i just cant stop laughing paying someone to take you to pay for gear out of ur pocket

CLO likes this.
  11. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

50$ an hour to learn how to take a picture of a fish? I don't even...how...what?? I already know how to take a selfie using instagram.

12. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Do people pay for that? Isn't google free?

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Meanwhile, I just thought I'd mention that I think that was a fine trout Daniel caught. I've never caught a big rezie trout in the Sky.

Sg

Ed Call and Chawhee like this.
  14. NW_Steel

NW_Steel New Member

Not that I post much on this this site. Nor do I claim to know as much as you would on this subject ever. I can only go off of what I have seen happen on the sky over the last 5 years or so more than I have ever seen in my past 25+ years on it. I agree that the size and the range of the fish would be consistent with a jack and the term "half-pounder" would be incorrect. However, just the other day I landed a fish of almost exact size and weight, native, and two toned chrome bright. I have also seen and hooked more and more fin clipped versions of this fish in June. I also had an experience on the Cowlitz last summer all fin clipped fish that looked the same. (they were not the cutts in there, we got those to)
    The coloration of this fish would indicate a "resi" but that doesn't indicate summer run or not. Once upon a time when we fished into April, it wasn't completely unheard of to run into an early summer run. If this happened to be one of those fish, it most likely would have the color of a fish that has been in the river for a while. I've seen it in June with other wild fish (pictures to prove it if needed).
    A scale sample would be the only way to tell for sure. But the rainbows that I have caught on that river tend to have much more bulk than that fish. I'm hoping that this is a good sign to come with our wild fish populations. I vote Jack.

15. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

So if a person like me who is looking for there first steelhead, and is pissed off that they caught this "jack" instead. Can you call it "jacked off"?