Breathable waders leaking

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jiminsandiego, Oct 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I think Reddington makes their own brand of Depends, should've come with your cheap waders! :D

PhilR likes this.
  2. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Active Member

OK I'm a newbie. Never owned a set of waders before. $90 sounded good but two months use is unacceptable. They are sending me the "newest version" of the same waders. But if they only last two months, what's the point. It seems that I can "modify" them, buy some neoprene waders or bite the bullet on a better set. Any recommendations on float tube specific waders? Thanks , Jim

3. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

I think it depends on the type of float tube you have. I have a Fish Cat tube and I sit out of the water, so only from knees down gets submerged. It also depends on the lakes that you plan to fish. For some alpine lakes, neoprenes would be the waders to wear. They are not that expensive. You should be able to buy a pair for less than or equal to $100. There is nothing wrong with having a pair of breathable waders and a pair of neoprenes. I do. So I guess my vote would be to buy a pair of neoprenes.

Krusty likes this.
  4. Jiminsandiego

My tube is a Cumberland. I sit up pretty high but my seat does get wet. I was happy with the Redington crosswaters until the fabric began to seep water. The leg portions remain dry so I am assuming that the pressure of my weight against a wet seat eventually caused the fabric to soak water through it. Oh well... I'll use the new ones they send me, look for some neoprene for the winter and research better options for "breathable" waders. I did not expect much quality for $90 but I was disappointed that they were not waterproof. Kind of the whole point of using waders. Jim

5. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

How much per trip are you willing to pay to stay dry? That should help you with deciding on the price to pay. I have a pair of Orvis guide weight neoprene that still keep me dry after more than 25-years of use and three pairs of breathable that I’ve gone through in the past 8 years. One reddington and two Cabelas. My current set are a top of the line Cabelas that I received as Christmas present from my kids...I had told everyone that I wanted the thick neoprene for winter...because I was tired of leaks after a single season. Thye thought I should have a “better quality” but so far this pair has worn very well and I am very happy with the performance so far but I only have about 50 uses so far so had I bought them, it would be about $5/trip. A shop owner figures that he gets the same $/use out of his SIMMS G-4’s assuming he pays retail.

6. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

If you keep sending back to Redington everytime they leak the may offer you a better model for a lesser price

7. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Jim what size are you? I have a pair of large cabelas 5mm neoprene stocking foots. Only worn a few times and have been sitting for a few years. I would let them go pretty cheap. Pm if interested.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I always used alcohol to find pin hole leaks.

9. Jiminsandiego

Nailbender thanks for the offer but I'm a size Medium. And Lue that sounds like a good plan. I'm sure that I could find a pinhole leak but it seems that the fabric simply gets "waterlogged" and seeps through. I'm pretty sure that they would be fine if I used them to wade, but sitting for hours in a puddle of water may be too much to ask from this product.

10. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Jim, heard of " the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys?" Sometimes you do get what you pay for.....my dad always told me to buy the best tools I could afford, doesn't have to be the most expensive but the not the cheap stuff.

11. Jiminsandiego

I agree with you on that Steve. I'm surprised they don't make a set of waders designed for float tubing. It seems that the expensive models are made to use with wading boots (instead of force fins) and have protection from tears while hiking (unnecessary for tubers). These Crosswaters "had one job to do" (keep my but dry) and they failed miserably. Live and learn, Jim

12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I've gone through costly pairs of (older, way too much $ now) Simms waders, cheap Hodgmans, Cabelas too. Seems like with most products that go for light weight you sacrifice strength. Aluminum new Ford truck beds.....recycled Bud light cans! :eek:

13. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

That said, that's probably some of the best wader warranty service around. I've had other brands covered by warranty but it was postage expense one way and generally several weeks without waders.
    I don't own Redingtons but your warranty experience definitely will make me consider them when the inevitable time comes.

14. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    I agree with you.

Not only waders for float tubes, but also pontoon boats. I am still looking for neoprene stocking foot hip boots. They would be perfect for a pontoon boat and much more comfortable than waders.

The real advantage of neoprenes is they float pretty good. I put on a pair and jumped in my swimming pool. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they floated. It was be nice if manufacturers looked at neoprene waders as an aid to flotation and design accordingly.

I have got lots of ideas for outdoor clothes. Anybody want to start a company and give Patagucci a run for their money??

15. Jiminsandiego

Redington's warranty service was truly excellent and they said they had a newer (hopefully improved) design. This thing about being "breathable" seems silly (for tubing anyway) I just want them to be waterproof. At this point it seems like the type of fabric that is used is they key factor for float tube waders.