Breathable Waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I would like to know if all you that use this type of waders have the same problem I do. As I was taking my waders off yesterday I noticed what looked like mold on the inside of them. In little red and gray spots. I tried to wash it off with a damp sponge but it didn't help. I need some help on how to get it off or doesn't it hurt for what ever it is to be there.:dunno

Jim

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Any mildew or mold on the inside of breathable waders will, at the very least, degrade their ability to breathe, if not lead to leaks (according to Hodgman, at any rate). Dry your breathable waders after every use. Turn them inside out and hang them up in an airy space. In the case of bootfoots, hang them upside down overnight, or fold them down to the tops of the boots.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

I usually turn mine inside out every other outing. I've heard of people using rubbing alcohol on those spots, but it's a solvent and I wouldn't dare unless the manufacturer said it was kewl. Of course, if the fungus is on your skin, then even if you clean them, you may just be reinfecting the waders each time you put them on. I was going to mention that having a fungus might explain your success out on the water, but have decided to have some class and not talk about it.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I shower every day and I even use soap some times and I wear sweats between my skin and waders. So mattzoid try another guess. Hee Hee hee.:p :p :p :beathead

Jim

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    That appears in my waders too. I just turn them inside out after the outsides are dry, and give them an hour hanging in sunlight. Most mold spores don't last after that, but the stains will remain. Don't use anything on them, it only contaminates the Gore Tex or Micropore material.The stains don't hurt anything.Turning the waders inside out, to hang in the sunlight for an hour or so, won't hurt them as long as you don't do it too often.Once a week is good.The point is to get them dry. I think the light helps sanitize them.Don't use a heat source like an oven or heater.In guiding season, especially summer, I have done this nearly every day; The Alaska summer sun is bright but not too hot at evening time. After the day, I hang them out till bedtime. They stay fresh as a daisy that way. 12-18 hour days, seven days a week for 18-20 weeks, and the waders I love best are Simms Guideweight waders.And then there's steelhead season.....

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Thank you,I will try that.:thumb

Jim