Bridge collapse

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 23, 2013.

1. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Active Member

I think they should just build a new bicycle trail over the river. ;) Everything will be fine.:rolleyes:

2. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

3. Brookie_Hunter

4. Brookie_Hunter

I guess I'm back in again. I respectfully disagree. That's at best revisionist history. You can't show me a single budget projection for any President,Clinton included that was even remotely close to projections more than a couple years out as there are always too many variables and unknowns to possible account for. Without digging in deeper, I'm certain that whatever was actually projected in that first budget as lowering the debt in their budget projections wasn't in fact the real contributor. But I won't argue that Clinton's tax hikes didn't added revenues to the government coffers but that was simply not the main contributor to the deficit reduction leading to that brief surplus. The soaring economy, which Clinton was little responsible, led to that outcome. It was certainly helped by spending restraints commenced in 1994 with the Republicans influence, but more importantly the government received unexpectedly high tax revenues much of the 1990's from rising salaries and capital gains from the dot com bubble before the charade finally came to an end, leading to the recession at the start of the Bush Administration.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

I remember when the Nugents corner bridge fell in on the Nooksack in 89' in Deming. We lived in Maple Falls at the time, and with no other bridges around it was a long haul in either direction to get to the big smoke. Patience was key when being qued up on a farm road for sure!

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Ok, I'm really done, and pretty pissed. About to do a mass parking/banning now of EVERYONE on this thread who posted political BS and "mocking" of a liberal or conservative nature. And don't play stupid either. I didn't mind talking about budgets as it came to reconstructing bridges. But when we're talking about budgets from 20 years ago on a national level, what party thinks that local new laws concerning rights have degraded or enhanced the NW, and just total political based drivel not concerning the topic directly (and don't play the "Well that budget set the ball rolling to this crisis" bs either).

So, next political post that clearly isn't based on the bridge directly (and I should NOT have to explain what that is either) I'll just do a mass parking of EVERYONE on this thread who has posted political BS (both conservative and liberal, it's only fair), even those who did it BEFORE my first warning (since all who did KNEW better then to put that drivel up).

We clear?

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is a holiday weekend. Traffic is bound to be bad. Traffic during the week should calm down.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Why I stay home all holiday weekends. I'm out most of the year. I can just stay home and get caught up on stuff around the farm (like now, I'm posting from my shop, doing cleanup work). I help keep the congestion down a little, especially not towing my boat full of camp/cook gear. ;)

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I cancelled an annual trip out to the San Juan with friends, in part due to the bridge and in part due to a hip injury and kidney infection. :( I hate not fishing but I can now almost see the top of my fly tying desk and have sorted materials into some new storage drawers. Plus, I got all the fly boxes, leader, indicators, etc. off the breakfast bar so it almost looks like a kitchen again. If I feel up to it, I may even get the rods and reels off the dining room table and put away. The downside of being single is that my house usually looks like a fly shop and REI had a high speed collision as there is no one to force me to give up fishing time and stay home to do chores, LOL, so this bridge and injury stuff has been a mixed blessing for me.

dfl likes this.
  10. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

My concern is strickly for my family that went camping this week end.
    They have to come through that mess to get home tomorrow.

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Farm house for Swedish Pancakes this morning then Costco Gas, no Problem the People from the North didn't have a clue, I live in MV so know all the cuts, but like many others have posted its going to be a fucking headache, and the barge with the crane was there to start removal

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Saw a report that a temporary fix is expected in the next couple of weeks. That is faster than anticipated. Glad they are working on the salvage operation to remove the fallen bridge section. Hoping that you all have a return to normalcy as soon as possible. Until then, I'm keeping my distance.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Are they using one of those temp bridges that the Army Corp of Engineers use? Would definitely be a quick fix.

14. generic

generic Justified

Yeah maybe. But if you've had to do any work for the government, like I have....should be done some time before Christmas...of 2014. :D

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Sorry to hear of your injury and illness. I haven't fished for a while either. My reason is that I'm lazy and don't want to get out in the rain. I might melt.

Irafly likes this.